• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Sighting in an air rifle

I recently purchased an air rifle, a Gamo, which shoot at around 1000 fps. I have a BSA .22 scope mounted on it. When I try to sight it in there is no precision. AT 30 yards every shot is within about a 3 in. circle but that's as good as it gets. What could be the sources of the inprecision?

I know my scope is tight and everything seems to work fine. I thought it might be the pellets, but pellets shouldn't make 3 in. of difference at 30 yds. Could it be an inconsistency of my eye's relation to the scope? Any opinions would be appreciated.

Actually, I was using a stuffed animal. smile.gif I'd never sight anything in without a rest. I've played around with it a bit more and think I may have just had a problem with where my eye/cheek was.

Any tips beyond that for improving your shooting. I hunt for waterfowl for the most part (deer with a bow). Never messed around with shooting anything with a scope beforeI'd like to be able to keep about 1 in groups at around fifty yards.

I've played around bit with different pellets and the difference seems to be negligable for the distances I'm shooting.

Thanks

[This message has been edited by smallies24 (edited 04-11-2004).]

Smallies

Just a thought - but you might want to check with the "support" staff at Gamo. With as much trouble as you are having, I'm wondering about the seals in your gun - you might not be getting the pressure you need in order to have your gun perform.

Used to see this fairly often when I was in the 4H SS project - younger kids shooting their older siblings air guns - after the guns hadn't been shot for a while.

UG