• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Painting Paneling?

BottomPounder

Lots of panneling is embossed paper,ya paint it the paper absorbs moisture expands,bubbles and looks terrible.

Wood grain panneling the grain always shows till it has many coats of paint to fill the grain.

So make sure ya have real wood panneling before your sorry ya painted it.

I personally painted different panneling and was never satified with the look!

I painted glossy looking paneling in my basement to brighten it up. I wiped it down and primed it with a kilz primer/sealer, lt it dry overnight and then put regular interior paint over it. I've since sold the house and it had been on there for 3 years with no chipping or bubbling.

I would just like to add...

If you or someone you live with have an aversion to Oil Based (killz), or Shelack Based (Binz, which IMO is the best bet for this aplication but by far the most dangerous of all listed), you can get an Amonia Based primer that works very well for odd stuff like paneling.

Take a look at Fresh Start. It is made by Benny Moore's and is likely the easyest of the specialty primer's for a homeowner to use. It also carries more pigment than sealer, so the coverage is better in the long run.

Good Luck.

Lots of panneling is embossed paper,ya paint it the paper absorbs moisture expands,bubbles and looks terrible.

Wood grain panneling the grain always shows till it has many coats of paint to fill the grain.

So make sure ya have real wood panneling before your sorry ya painted it.

I personally painted different panneling and was never satified with the look!

My kitchen cabinets were paper covered and I decided i would paint them and if it didnt turn out, I would reface them.

I removed the hinges and took the doors off.I cleaned them very well then lightly sanded. i put a coat of kilz on them by brush, let it sit for one week, put another coat of kilz and let it sit one more week.

I then top coated it with Nu Cling from Vogel Paint.

I got a rock hard finish from it that I have had for 3 years without any nicks or bubbles. I did get a marring type of scratch from my jeans button, but that came right off with some bar keepers friend.

Looks like custom cabinets, you would never know they were cheap with a paper veneer