• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Ice fishing for trout in a lake

JigginIsLife

I have recently found a lake nearby that hosts rainbows and brook i think, and i would love to start iceing some of these fish. i have been ice fishing for some time but have NEVER targeted trout through the ice, always the typical walleye or crappie. so this presents me with an undoubtably custom situation to those not only who ice fish but those that are near a lake deep enough to host trout. anyways my question(s) are these: HOW in the heck do you fish for a fish that normally stays in the cold part of the lake when the whole lake is cold. and another biggie is does anyone have any referance material or HSOforum that provide some good info about just starting to ice fish for trout. this is my first post in the trout forum so feel free to harass and call names but please include some info as well gringrin

I just started ice fishing for trout too this winter. I've been having a blast doing it too. Talk to the DNR, make some calls, check out some library books. Talk the the folks at the local big chain tackle shops. If the waters are low on oxygen, the trout will be within 5 or 10 feet of the top/ice. do you know the lake at all? If there are springs, the water coming in will be warmer and they might head there. It sure is different than trolling for northerns!

I prefer to sight fish in shallow water about 5-10'. I usually cut 3-4 holes & then block out as much light as possible in the house for good visability. Try jiggin' with some plastic baits like Shrimpos, Ratsos or anything else with good action in the tail.