• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Tiger

The Grebe

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting about tiger and money. I just saw on the news that Nike was going to lay off a lot of workers. I wonder how many jobs they could save for people who need them if instead they just cut Tiger loose from his multi million $ deal.

Didn't Buick already do that?

I don't know? There are still alot of scheckles to be made, even at reduced sponsorship.

Like all great athletes and great people in general, from the top to the bottom, they undertake whatever it is they do because they want to, because they have a passion for it, because they have an enate ability to do it, an ability far beyond what anyone else has.

In my opinion, Tiger doesn't play the game only for money, if that was his only purpose, he could not be who he is, it would show.

I went on his web site and they aren't giving any indication of his tentitive return on there either?

I wonder how many jobs they could save for people who need them if instead they just cut Tiger loose from his multi million $ deal.

Food for thought: I hear what you're saying, but Tiger isn't the only professional athlete that Nike sponsors...many others do quite well from their sponsorship contracts with the shoe company.

read a article a few years ago about michael jordan making 1 million a year endorsing nike. his endorsement was responsible for 500 million dollars in sales a year for the company worldwide. so you can also look at m.j and tiger employing people by using their celebrity.

If Buick had renewed the $40 million 5 year deal they had with Woods GM might not be on the brink of collapse and taking Govt. bailout money. Tiger could generate around 4 billion a year in sales (Using the Jordan to nike ratio). However none of the 6 or 7 different people I regularly play golf with own a Buick. On the other hand GM got more than $4 billion from the taxpayers and exceded what Woods would have generated in revenue. GM made a good business decision and they don't have to pay taxes on the bailout money to boot.

funny you should ask...I suck at golf. There, I said it:) Golfed for 30+ years averaging 2-4 rounds a year, just enough to consistently stink it up. I've never posted here on the golf forum, don't think I've even clicked on it till a couple days ago. So what got me to click in? One word...Tiger:) I saw the header on the front page, and had just heard him mentioned on the am news. Since then, I've punched up this forum 3 or 4 times to see whats said. And I barely watch golf on TV, hopefully the majors but now that I know Tigers back, I'm about 10 times more likely to check in on whatever tourney is on, to see how he's doing. Yeah...I'd say he has some effect:):)

IF nike cut tiger lose it would be bad business decision. MJ and Tiger make so much $ for nike it is insane.

I will be streaming Tiger today in class. Streaming golf a week ago would have never crossed my mind.

I love watching him becasue he hates to lose more then he likes to win, the ultimate competitor!

I would doubt Phil Knight would part company with Woods anytime soon. Remember Tigers chip from the rough on 16 at the Masters a few years back an that Nike logoed ball just hanging on the edge of the cup and than just dropping in. You could not have scripted a better commercial for a product than that.

Remember Tigers chip from the rough on 16 at the Masters a few years back an that Nike logoed ball just hanging on the edge of the cup and than just dropping in.

Thats because the ball got scared from tigers stare and dropped in shocked That moment really defined the magic of Tiger, I've never seen a player "will" his way to victory more, he wont have everything going right in his game and will still find a way to pull it out through sheer desire like his life depends on it.

I'm the same casual fan that will not watch much but if tigers in it I watch and will try to get my sons to watch with me as I believe they are getting to see the history of the best golfer

thats ever lived.

I also think one of the big reasons he's so popular is that golf has a stigma and rightly so, of the snooty, pompous, country club rich. ie: Phil, davis love the III etc. Tiger doesnt come off like he thinks he's better than you in life, I think he was raised right with hard working parents. And the average public course hacks love to see the snooty club pro's get thier A$$ beat. If you dont get what I mean go to any nicer course and talk to the pro's in the pro shop a little while without $300 shoes on and $600 drivers in your bag and see how they treat you.