• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

What was that sound?

Johnny_Da_Der

Maybe we should start a new forum for UFO sightings and cougars in downtown minneapolis...

I was out fishing this evening when I heard a terrible high pitched screaming sound. Like I was sitting right next to a tornado siren or by the brakes on a train. I thought it sounded like it was coming from the lantern and the other guy in my house sweared it came from outside. It was weird that it happened a couple minutes after lighting the lantern and the lantern went out a minute after this sound. It was was soooo loud it was difficult to pinpoint the direction or distance of the sound.

Any ideas?

BTW this happened on Bald Eagle at about 5:20 pm today.

I'd put my money on the lantern as well, if it's propane powered.

I presume this is well known phenomena, but 2-3 minutes before my Buddy heater runs out of LP on the pound sized tank, the heater (or the near empty tank?) begins to squeal and gets louder as it nears complete empty. First time I heard it do this it freaked me out. I condsider it a warning to start looking for the backup tank soon if I want to maintain heat.

Now, if it's not that, then it's probably the ghosts from some long-ago ship wreck directly beneath your shack. I've heard that the pirates were quite active on Bald Eagle in the early 1600's. I'd find a new spot to fish.

Jolly Ho!

Heard the same thing once, turned out to be just one of those bigfoot creatures. Shined a flashlight on him and he took off. I suppose he was imbarassed because the cold weather had made is malehood shrink up to look more like one of those fake noses you can buy.

It was a Hodag... This is from the Paul Bunyan book by Esther Shephard.

Hodag

The Hodag wasn't so bad, but he could make the most awful noise- the worst you ever heard. Something between a screech and a growl, that wasn't neither, but both of 'em together at the same time, and a whole lot of other things throwed in besides. You'd think a whole woodsfull of wildcats and hyenas was after you when you hear one of 'em.

Yup you heard a Hodag!