• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Last year was the first year I hunted mushrooms and I think I did pretty good, at least 200 for the season. I had never hunted them so I had no clue what I was doing so I poked around on the net and found some info on them. I went out and looked every day I could from late April to late May. It was discouraging at first because it took two weeks to find my first shroom, I will never forget it! I was searching a south facing slope when I came upon a huge dead Elm laying parallel to a path I was on. I followed it to its trunk and noticed it was cutoff as I looked around I found the stump the tree had been laying accross the path and was cut away from it, so I looked up the hill about ten feet and found it's stump. As I scanned the ground around the base I happened to look strait down between my feet and there it was staring right back up at me. As I scanned the area it was like a scene from Wizzard Of Oz they were like the munchkins poping up everywhere I was on a good sized patch of them at least 40, all 1 1/2 inch to 2" shrooms(what a rush). From that moment on I knew I was hooked. I picked a dozen or so and took them home, on the way home I stopped for "real" butter and when I got home I washed,sliced and cooked them in the frying pan until they were small and browned. One bite and I was in heaven, the time learning,miles and miles of searching,the dozen or so ticks I found crawling on me,the scrached arms and legs from poking around in the woods,the muddy carpet im my suv from walking through the soft spring soil,the falling on my rear(more than once) on a steep slope with wet leaves/grass,the mosquito bites were all WORTH IT!!! Im going to hit up the woods hard this year and hopefully find more places where these wonderful treats from mother nature pop up. Is anyone from the Mankato area looking for a tight lipped morel hunting partner? Im thinking about searching some "new" spots this spring. If so shoot me a e-mail at [email protected]