• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Sitting or Standing?

charliepete2

So at the moment of truth, are you sitting or standing? When I first started bowhunting I spooked a few deer trying to stand up, so for years I've been doing the bulk of my shooting from a seated position. About the only time I attempt to stand is when an animal comes in on my domimant hand side. How about you?

I used to ALWAYS stand, but with advanced age (ouch) it often is more comfortable now to sit. I am more steady now while seated and that makes me a bit more confident. I'll still stand in a heartbeat if I think things are going to happen fast and I can't be sure where that deer will be when it's time for the shot.

I have shot deer both sitting and standing. Given a choice, I'd rather be sitting because my practice has shown I'm a bit steadier when seated. Having said that, you have to be practiced at both, as the deer is not always in a position where sitting would be an option.

Good question. I'm having this dilema myself because all my stands are ladder stands. I like the ladder for safety reasons and easy of putting them up. BUT I feel that most of the deer see me or even sense me while I sit. Also sitting really limits your shooting range (left to right etc) I missed a very respectable buck last year because he walked behind me and to my right side (i'm right handed) and couldn't get a shot. Now if I was in a hang on stand I could have easily turned a complete 180 and taken the shot. Im now changing my stands and going to a hang on just because of more range or available shooting options. I just have been burned to many times "sitting" and I think if I stand when deer come I don't get siloutted as bad or as much because my body is closer to my tree.

that's just my .02.

mr