• RECEIVE THE GIFTS MEMBERS SHARE WITH YOU HERE...THEN...CREATE SOMETHING TO ENCHANT OTHERS THAT YOU WANT TO SHARE

You know what we all love...

When you enchant people, you fill them with delight and yourself in return. Have Fun!!!

Sign in to follow this  
Surface Tension

A little more room to roam

By: Janna Goerdt , Duluth News Tribune

MOUNTAIN IRON — There was strong support at a public hearing tonight for a long-planned expansion of the Off-Highway Vehicle Park in Gilbert, an expansion that promoters say could transform the park into a national attraction.

The 2,500 new acres, located to the east of Virginia, would triple the size of the current Gilbert park. The project has been in the planning stages for more than eight years while the Minnesota Department of Natural Resources worked to secure land-use rights from multiple parties for the site.

The dozens of enthusiastic riders who attended the hearing in Mountain Iron were in favor of the park expansion, though several lamented the lack of legal trails around Gilbert, Virginia and other area cities.

Tom Roskoski of Virginia said he grew up riding dirt bikes out of his backyard. In more recent years, though, streets, roads and trails have been closed to off-highway vehicle traffic.

He and Kevin Chinn, also of Virginia, said they use the Gilbert park, but not as much as one might expect given the proximity and their love of the sport.

The Gilbert park gets a lot of use from metro-area riders who really have no other place to go, enthusiasts said.

But Mark Pucel and Andrea Whiting, who recently moved to Virginia from Ely, said they were excited to explore both parks on their four-wheelers.

“It’s getting harder to find places to ride,” Pucel said.

Public comments on the park’s design will be accepted until Feb. 15. Of the handful of comments the DNR has already received on the expansion, all have been positive, said Brian McCann, recreation planner for the DNR’s Trails and Waterways Division.

“We want to shake the tree one last time before going forward,” McCann said. The state must complete an environmental assessment worksheet on the project before permitting and trail construction can begin, possibly in late 2009.

The DNR is still seeking an appraisal for about 400 acres of land towards the north end of the proposed expansion, said Ron Potter, policy and program manager with the DNR’s Trails and Waterways division. The city of Virginia would buy the land, and in turn the state would lease it from the city for the park.

The plan calls for the expansion to be accessed only from a trail beginning in the portion of the park near Gilbert, with the park then spreading north through abandoned mine pits and around a county landfill. The area offers challenging terrain favored by all-terrain and off-highway vehicle users.

State Rep. Tom Rukavina, a member of the Iron Range Off-Highway Vehicle Recreation Area Citizen’s Advisory Committee, explained that keeping the access in Gilbert was part of a promise made to the city long ago.

“We promised the Gilbert City Council that the Gilbert park would be like the hub of a wheel, and the spokes would go out from there,” Rukavina said.

r Copies of the proposal are available by contacting McCann at (651) 259-5627or [email protected]

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• Sounds like you guys gave her heck up there to find them. I'd be praying thanks, too if I got that one on! ☺️
    • Quick recap:   Weather was too darn “nice”!  Upper 80’s - 90’s; no wind to speak of; mostly sunny. Water temps were anywhere from 64 - 71 depending on location and day.   We looked the lake over from end to end, marking up our map and returning to some places where we saw fish either later the same day or a couple days later.  We could literally see the transition from spawn to post spawn happening during our stay.  Being new to both muskie fishing and that lake, we spent time in dead water as much as good water but feel like we got a pretty good handle on how to go about setting up a more efficient return visit.  It was a lot work and long hours but I’d go back this weekend if I could so I must’ve enjoyed it.   A few pics as hoped for:
    • big dave 2 and leech, darn good lookin meals!!!!  Dave have a good weekend!!!!
    • Ok Dave have a good weekend. Hope you get over the whole butt hurt Leech deal! Not sure where you got that I don't like folks smoking or grilling things?  I know I do enough. Have fun! 🙂  
    • Heavy rains across northwestern Wisconsin last weekend and early this week have flooded some roads and caused washouts on some highways, roads, state parks, forests and trails. According to the National Weather Service the area has received 7 to 12 inches of rain from Friday through Monday.Several park system property or portions of properties are closed due flooding. Amnicon Falls State Park, closed temporarily but has reopened, though some roads, trails and observation areas remain closed. Pattison State Park is open for camping only; all trails, observation areas, picnic and day-use areas are closed. There are washouts on the dam that forms Interfalls Lake and Highway 35 over the dam is closed. A campground and horse trail are closed at Governor Knowles State Forest and the day use areas along the river at Interstate Park are underwater.Water was roaring over Little Manitou Falls at Pattison State Park.Photo credit: Gervase ThompsonAll rivers in the region are running extremely high. The falls at both Amnicon and Pattison are roaring, but road closures mean observing the falls now is challenging. The Bois Brule and Flambeau rivers are high enough that some canoe launches and campsites are underwater. The water is making its way downstream and the Lower Wisconsin River is running very high with all sandbars submerged and canoeing and kayaking not recommended. The river is expected to crest Muscoda this weekend at 40,000 cubic feet per second. .
    • I'm still going to smoke this fatty while camping this weekend whether Leech likes it or not.....😋       See you fellers on Monday........
    • Rick didn't like all the "My Grills bigger and better then yours" posts!  😅
    • We switched to a new server. Had a glitch in our dB that lost a couple days of posts.
    • I ripped a hole in one of my favorite pairs of fishing shorts just need a decent sized patch to cover her up
    • I am not sure what happened either but we lost all of the posts last couple days not just this thread. And it looks like the same thing happened over on FM site as well. I know the site was down last night while I tried look at it.