• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Jason Mitchell Meat Stick

• we are 'the leading edge' HSO Creators

I don't know why they call this a dead stick rod. To me it is one of the finest jig sticks around. I don't have the Thorne Bros meat stick, but would like to for a comparison.

The Jason Mitchell has a sensitive tip that helps detect bites and almost more importantly helps with producing what I call "The Death Qiver" from the rod tip to the jig causing finicky fish to attack.

The JM meat stick is a differant cat - it has a quality "fast action tip" that gives ultimate control along with bite detection and the death quiver. The tip leads quickly to the rod backbone that effectively hauls those larger fish in.

It is rapidly becoming my go to rod. Especially in finicky bite situations.

rick-perch1-5lbs.jpg

The Meat stick gets a lot of use for me whether I'm fishing catfish, panfish or eyes. I use it both as a dead stick and a jigging stick. For those finicky panfish, cats and eyes the 2-3" rod tip acts as a sensitive spring bobber built right into the rod. On the cold hole hopping days I don't need to worry about the spring bobber freezing up quickly. After the soft tip it gets into backbone right away for solid hook sets and fighting fish.

Definitely a very versatile rod for your arsenal.

The Jason Mitchell Meatstick is the first rod I go to when not sight fishing. Bar none, my favorite rod!!!! Now if I can get Jason to create me a Meatstick at 24 inches!!!!! I would have everything covered. I love Jason's entire line of rods! And I will say I am extremely impressed with the combo's too. But the Jason Mitchell Meatstick is MYSTICK!!!!

Thornes new rod out is called the Quiverstick. It is quite a bit differnt than a JM Meatstick. The Meatstick has a much faster tip. The Quiverstick is basically a Panfish Sweetheart on a diet. She's been trimmed down action wise and had the lightest components out there added. All rods are different but I'd say the MS is more of a cross between a TB's powernoodle and quiverstick. But your still comparing apples to pears to oranges...

They all are awesome rods and the nice thing about both the Quiver and Meat stick is how versital they are...

I like the meatsticks so much a purchased 6 of them. I use it as a deastick for perch and walleyes as well as my go to jigging rod for crappies/gills/perch.

Take care of the tip by putting it in a rod case by itself and your golden.

One thing I would like to see on the meatstick is a neon yellow or orange tip. Would make seeing the light bites even easier.

• we are 'the leading edge' HSO Creators

OK,

I'm ashamed to admit this but I have 4 of these meat sticks in my arsenal. They are that versatile.

"One thing I would like to see on the meatstick is a neon yellow or orange tip. Would make seeing the light bites even easier."

I've got 4 as well and I agree this is about the only change I'd like to see made. I usually set a bobber stop so it's right at the tip and gives something bright to focus on but if your outside, or on the really cold days even inside, the bobber stop freezes up some and is tough to get through that little eye on the tip.

I also noticed on one of mine the tip has twisted so the top eye is about 1/4 turn clockwise from being in line with the others. I think its from having the line a bit to tight when I put it in the rod bag. Doesnt seem to effect the action though.