• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

What to do????

iceman1005

I have a 3 year old chocolate lab. My wife got him for me when he was a puppy and we had him inside for the first 9 months then my wife started getting allergies from him. He has been an outside dog since. We took him to the kennel for the 10 week gun dog class about 2 years ago. He absolutely loves to hunt. Well here is the problem he has started barking constantly and wont stop. He barks through his bark collar and we just dont know what to do. We are going to try him inside again. But my wife is now pregnant so she cant take and meds if she starts to get allergic again. I dont really want to get rid of him if she does break out again but i just cant neglect him anymore. Any thoughts on what to do. I dont want to give him away(a little to much money put in to him to give him away. Thanks for the help

Can you keep him outside, but maybe give him more attention and exercise? I know my Lab drives me nuts if I don't run him. Even with the cold weather I still try to run him at least every other day, and almost everyday when the weather is nice.

Any idea what is bringing on the barking? Is it just lack of attention or is there something else going on?

My dog has me trained. I can now understand the "i want a raw hide bone, so I am going to bark until you get me one, the "I have to go to the bathroom," the lets go for a ride," and the "lets go for a walk."

I am lucky to have trails right out my back door and take my dog out for a fetch session and a walk every day after work for 30-45 minutes. He goes for a short walk in the morning with my wife and then another 15 minute or so walk at lunch. On these walks he also gets to see his friends (neighbor dogs) and socialize with them. He acts different if he has not seen his friends for a few days. At just over one year old, he is a ball of energy. Luckily, he does not bark all the time for everything. However, last night he barked and barked and barked. I knew he wanted a rawhide but there were none in the house. Like I said, he has me trained, so we took a ride in the truck and picked up a couple. He was 100 % content when we got home and he got his bone. Spoiled is all I can say.

My wife keeps saying that when we have kids, they better be more spoiled than my dog.

Try a different bark collar and make sure it is tight and charged, if you have a regular collar and he is not shy give him a few good ones with that too. Show him you mean business with your voice when telling him to shut up like hitting the side of the kennel and use a firm no.

I've had a couple of labs in my life. They are high spirited/high energy, intelligent dogs and need LOTS of exercise. They get bored easily and likely the reason for the barking. Add to the fact that dogs are pack animals, he is likely begging (barking) for some attention as well as exercise.

Have you considered a dog daycare? It gets pretty costly, but will allow him to run with other dogs all day...wearing him out and allowing him to socialize with other canines.

Don't take this the wrong way...but hunting dogs are not like hunting riffles that you put away until you are ready to use next time. A half-hour of exercise is not enough physical or mental exercise for your hunting partner.

I agree, the dogs do look for allot of interaction and if he is feeling ignored you could benifit from leting him run around some each day. But each has there own personality and some definately need a more firm tone in the voice than others, some cower at a loud tone you have to read the dog and determine how soft he is and what it takes. I don't mean to kick or beat the heck out of em either by the way but some could stand an ear pinch or somthing like that.Good luck and I hope you don't have to give away your prised hunting partner good luck finding Shooster's without him.