• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Perm Shacks...Where to put them?

DuckBlind

Putting together our first perm shack, have a few lakes in mind for next winter but we plan on taking it up to Red & Mille Lacs when possible.

Hoping someone can help me out with this. I have been up on both lakes renting from different outfitters but never brought up my own perm shack.

Do you just have to pay the lake access fees and then you are free to go wherever you'd like? Also, there is usually a lot of snow on both lakes making it pretty difficult to get the house moved around other than on the roads. Do you just drop the house right on one of the roads, find and old used road or do you just plow your own? Simple question but I guess I never have seen it done with someones personal shack.

had the same question this year as me and a buddy built a permanent wheelhouse last year. You just end up paying access fees. If there is a lot of snow most resorts will plw a bunch of "slips" to put your house off their main roads. Definately dont put it on their road as it will flood it. Worst case or if you have your own spot in mid you can just pay one of their plow drivers to get you a different spot

This topic is a "Very Large Can-o-Worms".

Many resorts will charge different and potentialy large amounts of $$$ for a wheel house if you are going to be sleeping in it.

Also a word to the wise... If you are going to that big lake in Waskish choose your road wisely. If you access from one guy, then go to anothers turf, or meet up with a buddy who accessed out of another place, you will run into problems.

My cousin will forever be known as the "Mayor of Waskish" because he hooked up with a buddy of his on the lake and the resort owner flipped a lid.

That seems a little messed up to me. I thought there were $10 fees to get on and that is it? How can they charge you more if you are pulling a house out with you?

Also, if you plow your own path or they do it for you wouldnt the water flood that road too?

picture a cul de sac (not sure on spelling) off of the main road. So they either make a long straight side road or a circle. Off that circle of straight road they have 10 yards "slips" that they plow back off the road. Thats where you put your house. Went out of rogers on red (great place by the way, the couple people i talked to would have plowed me a spot no problem and no charge if i couldnt find one) and went out of highbanks on winnie. They both have had this set up this way. I did hear mille lacs is a different animal and a lot of places will try to charge you more because your not renting from them. Would just have to make a couple calls and find out before hand. I know what he's talking about on red as when I rented a house from a place a couple years ago someone went out with a wheelhouse where he wasnt supposed to and got plowed in by the place i rented from.

That's odd problems. I have a perm on skids I keep up at Mille Lacs. Pay a fee for the winter, I think around 400 or so and they put it on the ice, take it off and move it once during the year. They store it in the summer as well. I'm not sure how wheel houses work. If you're going to leave it at a resort, then that's the route to go. If you are going to use it to go lake to lake, I'm not sure what they charge. I know ours is $10 to get on the lake if you don't pay the anual. I'm not sure if they charge a little more to stay over in it. I would say it's a bad idea to go from road to road if you paid for the pass off of one resort.

I would be just looking for a place to go out, hoping to spend no more than $10 to get on the lake. From there you would think it should just be wide open to go any place you'd like. It is a lake, nobody owns it.

I would want to pull the house out with a few buddies, rip some holes and spend the weekend fishing and then head home.

If you see openings that are plowed off the main road can you just set up there? Also, with the weight of the snow would the holes just flood?

Thanks everybody for the help...

all you have to do is pay for the roads.then you may go anywhere you want.you will have to pay for a plowed spot.then you gotta pay to get your road cleaned up if it drifts in when your ready tobe moved.thats how they work it on lotw.i move my house every other week and they plow me a new spot every time.i also try not to put it by any of the resorts houses or by any private houses.i like tobe all by myself but that never lasts long.

yes you can pull into old spots.as for the flooding i havent had and problems yet.the water came up about 3inches.i would block up the house so it dont freeze in.just keep an eye on the water level.

That is pretty much your only option isn't it...to take old spots? Unless you have your own plow, can you start venturing out if you have a plow or do the people at the resort that started the roads get upset?

So if I go to a resort and tell them I am pulling out a sleeper for the weekend I would have to pay for an access fee and some fee to have my house out there too?

Is it pretty much different at each resort? Any resort owners on here?????

Dont set up on a main road, thats pretty self-explanitory. There are alot of "old" spots you can use and if there is alot of snow you should expect to pay atleast $20.00 to have a plow driver open a spot for you. I am sure lots of resort owners do not appreciate private plowers clearing there own spots because there is an "art" to it in trying to prevent massive piles that do create flooding issues.

If there is very little snow and you can drive anywhere and some resort owner felt cheated because you accessed elsewhere and are fishing "his turf," well thats his problem. Some outfitters do feel they "own" certain structure of the lake because they have been fishing it for years but they dont, no different than fishing in a boat.

At the resorts I go to up here on LOW, I go in and pay the access fee and that is it, I have never been asked if I was pulling a house or not. For the record, I have pulled my wheel house out at four different resorts and not a word was said about it. If I was told it cost more to take it out, I would go somewhere else.