• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

chain saws???

Pooh

what do you have? do you like it/would you buy another one? what do you recomend?

just curious to see what guys out there like.

i have a husqvarna 40 16" about 5-7 years old rebuilt 3 years ago like the power to weight ratio. dont like the way it seems to work so hard to cut.

had a sachs dolmar 118 or 115 (i think) that blew up. wish i had that saw back, that was a sweet cutting saw. balanced, powerful. and little vibration. i wish i could find another one of those saws

I have a Stihl MS310 with a 20" bar. I love it and would definitely buy another if I was in the market for a new saw.

My dad worked for the city for over 25 years and used many saws over that time. He asked if he could fire up my saw to try it out while we were clearing out a downed tree in the yard. You'd have to see the expression on his face to understand he looke dlike a kid in a toy store and a million bucks burning a hole in his pocket. After hit first cut, he was in disbelief. He thought it was a cheap saw since he's never used them. He's used most anything else other than Stihl.

I honestly think it scared him a little to see how well these saws run and how responsive the throttle is on them. I have the safety chain on mine and he still said that none of his saws in the past cut as fast as this one.

I have a husky 460 with an upgraded Oregon 20" bar. I love it, I own 160 acres of land and cut alot of firewood. People ask me why I got a 20" bar, I told them so I don't have to bend over all the time when cutting or limbing...

Helps out on the back.

I've got a Stihl MS270 Wood Boss w/ an 18" bar and love it. I've taken down, de-branched and cut up close to 350 trees with it so far, and haven't had a problem with it yet. I would go get another one in a heartbeat. Warm or cold, starts right up. Easy maintenance too, I can do just about everything myself.

I've build (carved) about a dozen log homes. Husky is the only one that has lasted for me I wore out my 262 and now my 365 is still running like new. I've ran up to 4-5 gals of gas in a day with them. I wont buy anything but Husqvarna. Just have to watch the air injection tube dont pug up ya.

Only use mine for cutting personal fire wood but I have a 15 year old sears craftsman 16 in saw. It does everything that I have ever asked it to do and does it very well. Will knaw through a piece of log just fine for me! I have cut up quite a few trees with it and the only thing that I have ever had to do was sharpen the chain, change the plug once, and put gas & bar lube in it. Me and my buddy cleared scraps on a 10 acre patch after it was select cut and it never faultered. Plus it was inexpensive! Take care and N Joy the Hunt././Jimbo

have a Johnsrud 2050 turbo, 18" bar. bought it 8-9 years ago, never had to do any work on it, still runs great. use it for cutting firewood. the first fews years would cut 3-4 cords, now down too about two. would buy one again.

Only use mine for cutting personal fire wood but I have a 15 year old sears craftsman 16 in saw. It does everything that I have ever asked it to do and does it very well. Will knaw through a piece of log just fine for me! I have cut up quite a few trees with it and the only thing that I have ever had to do was sharpen the chain, change the plug once, and put gas & bar lube in it. Me and my buddy cleared scraps on a 10 acre patch after it was select cut and it never faultered. Plus it was inexpensive! Take care and N Joy the Hunt././Jimbo

Jimbo, same here. Mine has 20" bar and starts great, and runs great. I got it used from a buddy who used it only a few times, I have had it about 10 years maybe. I don't use it a ton though, if I did maybe a "better" brand, but for the firewood for cabin, taking down occassional tree, or ripping an 8x8 it works slick.

It was funny when my stepson who has stihl, and a neighbor who has Huksy, both needed to borrow it to finish jobs smile Their probs were minor, but I got to rib them about asking for the junky Craftsman to rescue them, ha!

When I worked for County Parks and Rec. we always has Johnsruds. I would get Stihl or Husky over Johns I think, but our Johns were pretty abused by Cnty workers wink

Stihl and Husquavarna are great saws. Can't go wrong with either, but from what I've seen in my area you can get more saw for the money with the Stihls. Jonseruds and Husky's are made by the same company.

Jonserods model 70 its probably 25 years old but fires right up every fall no problem and has bottom end and mid range torque like no other I've ever used. Yeah its a little heavy but its all metal no plastic. My buddy bought a stihl 310 and we went side by side, I beat him by at least 30 seconds in a 20in elm. Not that a stihl is a bad saw but I have to say I prefer the older saws to the new ones because of the fact that the new ones run so [PoorWordUsage] many rpms to make up for the serious lack of torque which obviously does nothing for chain life and when u get into some wet wood they cant handle it. My old Jon will be in the family for many more years to come and these new plastic saws will still be 2nd best if there still around. my 2cents.

wow im suprised to see that there are that many stihl guys out there. i figured id see more poulan and Mccullagh. seems like anyone with a stihl has nothing but good to say about em.

my old man has a johns like iceman is talking about, old and HEAVY. but a very good cutting machine, i wish i could find an old saw like his. porblem is carrying the dam thing around for a couple hours make a guy hurt the next day.

to each his own i guess.

I dont think you can go wrong with either a Stihl or Husky, I live on a farm and have use both, I think our Stihl was kind of a lemon, now we have a Husky. I've used other Stihls and they have worked good. I've heard where Johnsred and Huskys are the same saw just different colors.

Huskys are the same as a jons. just different colors and look but I think they have the same engines-etc. You are right Pooh as far as weight goes its a little heavy but I also have a jons 44 that gets used for limbing etc. so I don't have to lug the 70 all day long, plus I think the 70 balances very well so theres not alot of strain on the back like your probably thinking, the saw is made for a 20in. bar but I run an 18in makes it balance really good and run like [PoorWordUsage]. By the way I broke the handle on mine last fall and put an ad on [YouNeedAuthorization] for a 70e and had about 6-7 responses from people with saws willing to sell so if your looking for one I'd try that just keep in mind with a 25-30yr. old saw the parts are not that easy to find. Just have to make sure to mix the gas right, I go alitle heavy just because I'd rather put a new plug in than score a cylinder.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.