• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Bass Fishing Tip of the Week Official Post.

Deitz Dittrich

I'm sure they have an editor, but they aren't all necessarily in tune with the regs. I guess they just assume that the "experts" they have writing for them know the rules.

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jared Barbee is a bass tournament guy from Louisiana. So a freelancer who probably tweaked a canned article and assumed regs were year round here.

This is 110% on the 'editor.'

Another article in there is about "A New Concept for Spring Walleye's"

The plural of 'walleye' is 'walleyes.' "Walleye's" is the possessive.

So no, they apparently do not have an editor. At least not one that can edit.

I just fired this off to the 'editor' at Up North

Jason,

I'm writing to you in reference to the Jared Barbee article on spring bass fishing in your summer issue of Up North.

In the article, Barbee talks about heading to a lake with a size limit on bass near Fergus Falls, and states that his favorite time to be there is 7-10 days after ice out, then goes into some detail on location, etc,.

The size limit referenced narrows his lakes down to 3 or so, depending on how close 'near Fergus Falls' is.

Whichever lake he's referring to, the bass season is closed until the first week of June in that area. So, for quite a while beyond "7 - 10 days after ice out." For what he's describing, the ice would have to still be on the lakes for 2 weeks after the walleye opener. I've lived in that area for 40 years, and in my lifetime there has still been ice on opener exactly twice.

I know Jared is a Louisiana-based freelancer, and having worked with a lot of freelancers over the years I know how it goes. He writes stock pieces, tweaks them a little and sells them where he can. If he's fished bass in Minnesota at all I doubt it has been in April or May. He may have assumed that the season here was year-round as it is in South Dakota or Ontario.

But it's not. If he doesn't know what the applicable regs are in the context of what he's writing about, you as an editor sure should. What he's describing, and suggesting your readers should do, is blatantly illegal.

Editing is more than finding writers, filling pages and cutting and pasting. It's about content, accuracy, and ultimately the credibility of the publication and those associated with it.

By publishing an article with what is either an egregious disregard for the law on the writer's part, or a colossal example of careless editing on your part, you damage all of the above.

Since we're on the subject of editing...take a look at the article called "A New Concept for Spring Walleye's" The plural of 'walleye' is 'walleyes.' "Walleye's" is the possessive. Something an 'editor' ought to know.

In the future, I hope you're more careful about what you choose to publish. The outdoor pubs business is tough enough without self-inflicted wounds.

Rob Kimm

Maybe Mr Barbee does know the area...

"Jared is an experienced Minnesota fishing guide on Mille Lacs Lake, North Long Lake, Gull Lake and Lake Hubert. He specializes in teaching and instruction along with a great fun filled experience."

Hopefully it isn't a problem posting this link, if it is feel free to edit it...

http://reservefishing.com/Profiles/Jared-Barbee-Long-Lake-Fishing-Guide

JPZ -

I did actually - a very thoughtful, cordial one in fact, which, considering I was fairly hard on the guy, was somewhat surprising. I think the editor just more or less missed the season reference, which, while it's a mistake, I can understand having been in his shoes and working on a deadline. Doesn't excuse it, but it happens. I've had some doozies get by me too.

As to the author, I think he's a young guy trying to get started in the biz. Hopefully this is a learning experience.

RK