• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

99 Polaris XC 500 clutch problem???

LakeTahoe

Wonder if I have a problem with the clutch or not.

When I engage the throttle (revving the engine up) the sled doesn't just gradually move forward... it sort of "kicks in" (jumps, if you will) at 3500 to 4000 rpms. I don't think this is normal... my brothers XC 600 doesn't do this... Is there a tension adjustment for the belt or something? ANY help/advice would be much appreciated!

are you the original owner of the machine? Is it clutched? How new is the belt? I am wrong correct me on this but most XC's start out a 3800. remember these are go fast machines. so the engage of the clutch is going to seem high. my brother had an old (96) xcr and that machine never was smooth off the line.

hope this helps if you have any other ?'s e mail me

zimmerman_ dan_ c @ yahoo .com no spaces

Isn't a clutch, clutched? smilesmile No, seriously, not sure what you mean by that?

I am the second owner, bought it with 400 miles, now has 1100 miles.

Only reason I bring it up is because, like I said, my brother's 600 is smoooooth off the line. Do you know if there is an adjustment that can make it smoother? Maybe I actually don't have a problem? Anyone else have thoughts?

The original owner may have changed the clutching. Many aftermarket kits will increase the engagement RPM so the sled will lurch from a start like yours is.

The original clutching for the primary cluch is a dark blue/white spring and 10-56 weights.

The original clutching for the secondary cluch is a silver secondary spring and as R32 secondary.

My personal preference is to have the "lurch." The quickest way to burn up a belt is to ease into engagement. I like to know that there is minimal easing, but rather grabbing or not grabbing the belt. I have always set up my primaries this way. My $.02.

Had this problem on an older 440 liquid I had. About 4200 RPMs it engaged hard. Clutch was completely toast. Tore it down and found a busted spider gear inside (if I recall that was the correct term), everything was worn out. Cheaper to buy a whole new clutch, bolt it on and go.

Ive got a 99 xc 500. It had a stock blue clutch spring in it as Black_Bay states. I put a yellow spring in it to raise my rpm at engagement for the reasons that showags says. I go thru very few belts now as its either engaged or its not. dan z is right on, if memory serves me right on the engagement rpm of a stock clutch being at about 3800 rpm. My engagement rpm is at around 4200 to 4500 now. it all depends on the type of riding a person is gonna do and personal preference. Higher rpm at engagement means power to the track sooner "out of the hole". You can feather the clutch to engagement by feathering the throttle to engagement rpm if needed. Id talk to the original owner and see if he had anything done and if its always been this way. The sled has VERY low miles and I doubt that anything is wrong with the clutch. Play with it and find the sweet spot where the clutch engages, then take it up to just below this rpm and feather the throttle and it should slide into egagement like you want before long you will know by ear what your rpm is and know when its gonna engage. It might just take some getting used to.. Good luck and safe riding!!!