• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

how big does it have to be for you to mount an eye?

jwmiller33

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've got one over 10 mounted and I told myself it would have to be over 11. Then I got an 11.lb 11oz. Then told myself it would have to be over 12. Then I got a 12.lb 4oz. But I couldn't do it and get her swim, then I got a 33" and couldn't mount that one either. I'm not sure I'd mount another one or not. Now I'm more proud of the fish my kids catch than the fish I have mounted.... I'm getting old.

The thread is too big to go back to the start. If this has been said before I appologize. Not all big fish released live. It depends on the depths and length of the fight. Many of these huge female walleyes are lethargic and when hooked will fight to the death. (especially when pulled from deep water). Don't make the generalization that if just because the fish is released some kid will catch it years later as a new state record. Chances are much better that the gulls and comerants will have a great meal within 3-4 days. Some people hate to see a real trophy on the wall. I hate to see them all white in a c curve floating on the surface. I have a couple of walleye mounts. They are out of respect.

You are right. Not all Eyes released make it. That's why it's important to take photos quickly and get them back in the water asap.

I'm not going to frown, or bash on anyone keeping a Trophy fish for the wall. Especially if they would not make it for a release.

There is a couple i fish that produce nice fat eyes. Last winter got one that was 27.5" and 10 lb 10oz. Nice fat healthy fish, let it go. Had one mounted 4 years ago that is one inch longer never weighed it but it dwarfed all the other eyes when i picked it up from the taxidermist and he thought it should have went at least 12 lb. Hes been in business for 35 years. If your going off the Length = weight rule that only gives you a rough idea. Theres alot of factors like food supply and weather , spawning that factor on a fishes weight.

Caught one on LOTW last Memorial Day weekend that went 29.75". She went back in the water. I didn't think twice about releasing her...Took a few pictures which I entitled "Almost 30".. smile

Perhaps at some point if I catch another close to 30" I'll have a replica made. Even at that, I can always have a replica made of the 29 3/4" at any time because I have the photos. That's a good feeling to know.

11_4-1.jpg

11 lbs 4oz. 28.5" long She looks like she had a soft belly so she had already dropped some eggs.

IMG_0784.jpg

This one was just shy of 28" and barely broke 10 lbs. I don't think another egg could have fit in her.

Typically our 28" fish run about 10 or more pounds. We get the occational sumo though.

The smallest walleye replica I've made for someone is 13" and the largest one I've made is 35". It just depends on who caught it, where it was caught, the story behind it. It dosen't have to make everyone happy and meet their approval, just yours. After all your the one spending the money on the mount. If it makes you happy, go for it smile

I would have said the same thing.