• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

how big does it have to be for you to mount an eye?

jwmiller33

I usually get a couple of good picture of anything over 25". I've got a couple of pix of 28-29 1/2"s that, I think, are more impressive / story telling than any mount. Blow em up a bit, put on fireplace mantle / bookshelf, hang the lure or any old lure on the frame... very cool in my book.

I am not against mounts, just think a well taken picture, blown - up and framed, with a smaller one of the release, is as much of a "trophy" as stuffing one.

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am debating on this one since I C&R a 29" last year from Mille Lacs but I think it would have to be 30" unless she is just a pig. But I would release it no matter what- just get the measurements and get a replica. They look beter anyway and they last forever compared to skin mounts which yellow, crack etc. after a few years. JM$.02.

The big 30"+ are usually big fat females. They hold thousands of eggs. Please practice C-P-R and we will all have a chance to catch them again and also have some eaters as well. We can't all rely on the dnr for restocking all of the lakes for us. The reproduction is so very important for our future anglers. Here is a 32" I caught a week ago and released and a couple from last winter --- smile Thanks WM

http://s476.photobucket.com/albums/rr125/Wallmaster_2007/?action=view&current=PC020050.jpg

did you get a chance to weigh it before releasing??

Unless you've got a sling, why hang it just to get a weight. Quick Length, girth, pic, release. I sorta cring watching BIG fish being weighed (hanging vertical), ulness laying in a tub / or sling. Unneeded IMO.

Echoing on what alot of others have said. My personal goal long before I ever een saw this thread was 30". And with that I would get a graphite made. I would let it go.

The best I have ever done was 29 1/2". I almost talked myself into getting a replica made of it. But Glad I kept to the standard I set.

I think one has to consider more than just length and weight.

The people saying they may never catch a 10lb 30+ inch walleye, well lets drive on up to selkirk and bring in some hogs.

I think one must consider the lake, the trip, and most importantly the fish, does it look good?

I didn't weigh it, I just wanted to get her back into the water. I kind of wish I would have at least taken a girth measurment. She was absolutly the fattest walleye that anyone in my group had ever seen. Judging from the pictures I have she is about 7 inches top to bottom when she is laying on her side so I would have to guess her girth to be in the 17-18" range which puts her on the high side of 10 lbs.

I look at it this way. I have several pictures of my largest eye 29"/10.5

The fish swam away and got a chance to dump that belly full of eggs.

Meanwhile I can get a replica made anytime i want to. I just haven't decided if that is how I want to spend that money. smile

My mount is 29 3/4 only 8plus lbs,a postspawn fish that I tried to release but came back up.I worked that fish for a long time but couldnt revive it.That being said it isnt my biggest.Like TrophyEyes,I have access to a special fishery in Canada that holds some unreal fish.Ill keep plugging away at this place as it has given up some 15lb class fish,Thats what Im after.