• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Chequamegon conditions

We're heading up soon. Here is today's report that I found.

quote:

Thursday, March 04, 2004

Fishing & Hunting Report

*Recent warm temperatures and rain has made ice conditions very tough. Large slush pockets exist all over the lake making travel difficult for snowmobiles and nearly impossible for 4 wheelers. The ice road at Bayfield has closed for vehicles and the windsled has resumed running. People are still going off Bayfield and Red Cliff, fishing 120 to 240 FOW around Stockton, Hermit, Oak, and Basswood. Lake trout fishing remains steady in these deep waters. Inside the bay the conditions are the same, but at least the fishing is picking up somewhat. River mouth fishing for Steelhead, Browns, Splake, Coho, and a few Menominee has been good off the Onion and the Sioux, In the deeper water of the channel there have been some Whitefish, mixed trout species, and herring being caught along with plenty of Burbot. In the shallower waters off Washburn and Ashland the walleye are starting to turn on again at dusk, and Northern and perch are starting to bite better off second landing and right in front of town. As usual, the fish are tightly schooled up and move around from day to day, so if you don't have any action where you initially set up, moving around to find the schools of baitfish, and gamefish, is key.

*On the inland lakes people are out fishing on lots of ice, and slush, for pan fish now that the gamefish season has come to a close.

[This message has been edited by MT Net (edited 03-04-2004).]

Thanks for the report, the river mouths should start to produce later this month, i like the report that someone caught a 8 lb coaster that is what we should be hooking instead of man made splake the coasters are really starting to come back from what i have heard i have only caught 1 a 20 incher in front of Bono Creek going up to Washburn early in the year, but there are other secret spots to hook those beuties man are they awsome well thanks for the report and let me know how you do see you on the bay March 13 14 15 can't wait

Have 4 guys heading to Chequamegon Bay, Ashland the 19th for perch'n and eye'n. Never fished it and only 3 hours away. Plan to start and buy stuff at allure. Is the perch'n same as devils ND? We are not sure if we need snowmos or 4wheelers. If neither work, how far do we need to walk. Not too keen on walking a mile. Thanks in advance.

Have 4 guys heading to Chequamegon Bay, Ashland the 19th for perch'n and eye'n. Never fished it and only 3 hours away. Plan to start and buy stuff at allure. Is the perch'n same as devils ND? We are not sure if we need snowmos or 4wheelers. If neither work, how far do we need to walk. Not too keen on walking a mile.Oh, and any watering holes that a person might want to quench his thirst. Thanks in advance

hey troubmaker i just got back from a trip up to the bay and the fish were snapping not perch or eyes but trout and salmon we limited today on cohos and caught 2 nice splake fishing the river mouths north of washburn we used wax worms on small pan fish jigs pink, and orange worked well the cohos ran from 16-20inches and the biggest splake was 22all great eating. If you want a good watering hole hit the deep water grille in ashland great beer and food awsome wood bar you should really check it out if you will be in ashland the best western west of town has a special rate stay 2 nights and get the 3 night for free good acesse point to just whatch the river near by conditions ,were awsome for 4 wheeler or snow machine.Good luck i will be back up april 5-6 for one last late ice bite at my secret spot.

Just got back Blackjack. Fished for eyes n perch. High winds, cold snap no good. Went out to the end of long island point and worked the south side. Ended back in front of 2nd landing. Caught 2 ok size perch, zillion little 6-8"inchers, 30" laker, one gold colored fish and one silver/blue fish (22") Can you tell I fish inland lakes? Talked to 4 old timer perch fishermen, and they say it is one of the hardest years yet. Ice depth ranged from 36" to 12". Did find some great watering holes, and people, including the grille. So that helped. If you want big perch, use big baits. I used a jigging rap, minnow head to keep those little guys off. I was told they need to get some runoff to dirty up the water to get bigger fish. Trout are hitting. Back to Devils ND, they are hitting big time now. Thanks for the info.

thanks for the report thats a nice laker and it sounds like a nice coho salmon the silver and blue fish. try first landing for perch when second is slow never gets fished as is only a mile west of second landing there are three small sand and weed humps. fish about half mile out right in front of the hudge A frame house at the end of johson road witch is the road right before three eagles gift shop. the spot never gets fished.

Thanks Blackjack. Might even think of heading up there again. Since there is 36" of ice, how long do you think it will last? I am required to take the Mrs, to a warm place for a week. The sacrifices that a guy has to do, in order to fish. It looks to me like there will be ice until the 3rd week of April or later.

The ice around second landing is always the last to go out I'm coming up april 5-6 so i hope it stays solid for a while. The perch fishing should really pick up with it being late march and early april always an awsome time to fish the bay. You just have to watch out for shore line conditions and a strong wind out of the SW that spells danger if you are far out on the bay because sections will start to break up and float out to the channe. The good thing is you should not have to go to far out to see action specially at second or first landing. good luck and let me know how you do...

No i don't but you can check with out door allure in washburn or look at their web site at outdoorallure .com they hav e a good current conditions page hope you all have a good summer time to get trolling and thinking muskies and smallies goodluck