Sign in to follow this  
Team Otter

Perch Photo Gallery

Note from admin: Please read forum policy prior to posting again. Thank you.

Well i made it out for the first time this year and did some poking around. found em up on the deep side of scattered rock piles in 15-17'...kinda surprising in regards to the past few years but hey i guess one cant complain anytime there is a nice mess of jumbo perch to be had? i would really like to see these fish move ou onto the flats which i think they will here soon mainly because the schools are a bit larger and activity above the ice has less of an effect on them. The size is running good, lots of smaller ones 8-9" perch which is good to see but plenty of very healthy 11-12.5" perch too. Genz worms and waxies or spikes seemed to be the rig of choice for this day on the ice

here is a pic of one of the jumbo's from yesterday4181223619_0d14c85805_m.jpg

i was catching a couple jumbos sight fishing the day after christmas. (i hooked into a few, but only landed one, one wrapped up in the bullrushes and broke off, and the other flopped out of my hand and back down the hole)

PC250119.jpg

PC250118.jpg

here is nice one from christmas day on LHD

PC240111.jpg

cant wait to get out during late ice on LHD for more jumbos like i got last winter!

My dad and I got into a bunch of nice perch this past weekend. 3 were 13 inchers. Heres a pict of one I got and a video of one my dad caught comming through the hole...

027ur.jpg

Great fish dark cloud. Now the billion dollar? what body of water are they caught? I would like to come get a few for my taxidermy display.

Thanks all! cool

Jim - those two fish came out of a small 110 acre private lake in NE Pennsylvania. It was actually the first time we fished there. We cut about 40 holes till we found some fish and picked a couple a dozen before calling it a day.

I typically get a handfull of perch in the 13-15 inch class each season. Have come close but never broke that 15 inch line, yet...

JigginJim - I wish it was only 8 hours. A few years ago I fished LOW and Upper Red. Yep we drove, and I believe it was a tad over 20 hours to the Twin Cities!

It sounds like the place out there for the best shot at pig perch is in the UP of Michigan...

Will you be fishing tomorrow Monday/18?

I will be around, I may call you if I don't hear from you.

yes i will. give me a call. i dont think i have your number

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• Yeah I am afraid with the pandemic and lots of new people resorting to outdoor activities. Are we going to see that transition to hard water also? I think its great to see people enjoying the outdoors. I just hope it doesn't turn into a zoo at every lake like it has this summer on the lakes and rivers that I have been fishing. The thundering herds could be interesting this year.
    • Well trained youngins following Mama to the bird feed scattered on the ground under the deck. An annual late summer event.
    • Just a friendly note to book your ice houses early this year. Spent the past week researching sleepers for my annual ice fishing trip with the buddies in January. Found quite a few places on the popular lakes (Red, LOTW, etc.) already booked up.  Not sure if they always book up this early, or if this year is special because everyone has been so cooped up, but I wouldn't wait much longer if you want to book a weekend this winter.
    • I have the 17” but I usually only cook for two, so it’s perfect plus it’s portable.
    • I have to agree with @rundrave, and should’ve added to make sure you use the command “Down” so he knows this is a no-no.  Once he gets the drift Down means get down or get a knee, he’ll be hesitant to jump up on new people and you can prevent it by telling him Down before he jumps.     Say it, then instantly follow up with the negative reinforcement if he doesn’t immediately comply.  Saying it at the same time seems less effective if not said before as a warning.
    • Knee to the chest has got him to not jump up like that on me or my family. He is mainly jumping up at strangers to him. I tell people to do that and some do and he quits. I am hoping to figure out a way to stop that. I have a training collar for him but it’s never on when someone just stops by. He has not had his dew claws removed.    I had been feeding him 1.5 cups 3 times a day but switched to 2 cups twice a day. Don’t ask why I was doing 3 times a day because I really have no idea. He seems to eat slower now with the twice a day. Not sure if that had anything to do with the loose stools either.    Thanks for all all the help so far. 
    • The only gripe that I have heard on the Blackstones is to stay away from the ones that have the "grease gutter" in the front versus the pan in the rear. I have a friend that bought one with the front gutter and didn't like it, so he sold it and bought the model with the single rear cutout. Mine has the grease trap in the front left corner, but is cutout with a pan and not a gutter system
    • Does he have dew claws removed? Next time he jumps if the knee to the chest doesn't work grab both front legs and apply hard sharp pressure with the tips of your thumbs to where the dew claw were removed from. Give a firm command "Down!" as you do it and pull his legs to the ground. It wont be pleasurable for the dog and he will get the message loud and clear that jumping is not tolerated.    As for food I agree lots of options. Like I said I didnt have any issues with Diamond. I more so switched to Purina just because I have seen how much they support the industry. Huge sponsor to pheasants forever etc. Support those that support you.
    • Yes, stay away from the grain free dog foods. My vet also recommended Royal Canin, Science Diet, and Purina Pro Plan.
    • Knee to the chest is the only way I’ve seen that broken with any dog.  You’re exactly right, they like to get face to face socially but have to learn it’s the option of the person to bend down to them.
  • Topics

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.