• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Panfish Photo Gallery

Scott M

Rick,

He out fishes me all the time now and likes to rub it in. It used to be that he would ask me how I was jigging it or what color I was using, but lately its been me asking him. Its a good problem to have! wink

Nels

Hey river rat...don't think that is a bluegill...if it is, it is the ugliest one I have ever seen. My guess would be green sunfish, or some hybrid.

Seriously Dude! First off he did not say "Blugeill"...he said "Gill"; and secondly many people on here will lump all sunfish of any type under the title of a Gill. Give the guy a break.

hybrid gills is the answer. pumpkinseed/bluegill, green sunfish/ bluegill, and all other sunfish/bluegills. No matter kind of gill it is he got his thumb in it's mouth and that says something. Now if my thumb fit in its mouth we might have a new state record. I hope I get that chance to hold one of them big gills soon.

Hey river rat...don't think that is a bluegill...if it is, it is the ugliest one I have ever seen. My guess would be green sunfish, or some hybrid.
\

You are correct it is a green/ pumpkin seed hybrid, there are some true greens in the pond also, and they are a riot when they come out, ultra aggressive little buggers. you may think these ones are ugly, but when you catch 12+"ers they all look pretty good. this one was a hair over 10" and is about average size of the hybrids in the pond. it is a poster child pond for catch and release, legitimate 12"ers with the largest we have caught being 13 1/8" granted they are hybrid greens so they should be a little longer than average but they are still monsters. Before we started managing it your average size was about 6-7".

all three were in that 15+ range. caught couple dozen over 12 inches. they all went back to be caught again. they cant get that big if you keep'um.

20140526_091340_zps69a2898d.jpg

This has to be the strangest bluegill I've ever caught. I'm not sure if it's an albino, or some kind of genetic mutation. Can anyone help me clarify this? Thanks! Wasn't a slab, but either way, this is an awesome looking mutant!

20140526_091340_zps69a2898d.jpg

This has to be the strangest bluegill I've ever caught. I'm not sure if it's an albino, or some kind of genetic mutation. Can anyone help me clarify this? Thanks! Wasn't a slab, but either way, this is an awesome looking mutant!

Just curious if you caught this on Tonka? I was fishing yesterday and we would see huge schools of sunfish but noticed a few in the bunch that really stood out as white in color. I have never seen this befor and wondering if it is exclusive to Tonka or if the are showing up other paces too.

BTW nice fish pics folks!