• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Found the crappies

Today turned into a great day fishing. Drilled two holes and whalah, crappies! We fished from 8-1 and caught lots of crappies. They were in 12 fow and suspended at 5-7 fow. They were hitting anything you threw at them. Sure feels good to have raw, cold, wet hands from catching fish. This was on Lake Onalaska. Cannot reveal exactly where though, LOL. We were in the most obvious place, but only one person set up near us and left after 30 minutes. Must have got frustrated from our laughing everytime a nice fish came up or when a fish spit the jig at the hole. I did get a really wet arm reaching for a very nice crappie. Now it is back to work for the week, shucks.

I was beginning to question my skills at icing gills and crappies, LOL. It has definitely been very tough lately. The good thing is, the cold snap we will be getting, will make the lake a lot more accessible by vehicle. The lake is pretty good sized and that prevents people from getting to some prime spots unless you want to walk a long ways. The good thing is it is still early and we have a lot of fishing time left.

The lake is still producing fish, just have to search for them sometimes. I was out on Wednesday and found the craps in the deep water areas, but most were small. My best guess is try the deep channels that are in the lake and go from there. The gills are still in the shallower water with some of the bigger ones hanging in the deep water as well. I cannot say for Lawrence. I went by there on Wednesday also. Not a lot of people fishing, but there were a few people scattered. I have heatrd they are biting better there later in the day. I am sure either place will be a good place. Good luck.

crappie bite has really varied here in no. central wi. one lake hitting dropper with waxies and spikes ( 22- 18 ft) in 22fow and plain jane hook and minnow on ice buster bobber in 18 -15 ft over 22 fow. 7 miles away in 22 fow hitting jigging spoon/dropper/minnow (on the drop Only) in 10-12 ft. coming off bottom only to look

------------------