• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Pipestone Lake Trout Area Fishing Report

I was guiding for a group staying at our cabins on Off Lake and fished the bottom end of Pipestone. The lake trout fishing was good today, 2 caught at 30" and the rest were in the 5# and up range. A few others were lost, missed, and a few chasers didn't cooperate. Here are a couple of pictures to enjoy. We will be posting fishing reports and ice conditions on our HSOforum for those interested.

IMG_0189.jpg

IMG_0188.jpg

Thought I would sneak one in of a laker caught at our Dogfly outpost the first hour out fishing yesterday after getting the group in.

IMG_0186_1.jpg

Troutteaser - welcome to FM, I see you are new to the forum.

Start working the points that are adjacent to deep water. The main stretch has alot of good spots and is all surrounded by deep water. Sand Point, Green Island on up to Pipestone Lodge area is where lots of people fish and do well. I fish the entire lake and it is all very good. The biggest part of where to fish on the lake depends on where you are staying at to cut down on the travel time to increase fishing time. Where would you be staying?

Superbee - Thanks for the welcome, and thanks for the constant updates on the lake conditions. Like I said I haven't fished pipestone much, so I am trying to get to know it a little better. I have mainly always fished Dogfly and Manitou. My buddy and his family bought a cabin on Off Lake a few years back. So we have a great place to stay, just need to learn some new waters. We have fished the main stretch a little, but know nothing about the water to the north.

There are alot of other good lakes to fish lakers as well next door to Pipestone. Loonhaunt is pretty good along with Dash and Helena. Easy to get into and always fun to try different water. If the big lakes are slow, then the small lakes are usually better.

I know some guys who have fished loonhaunt and have said the same thing. I didn't know that about Dash and Helena. Sometimes there is just too much fishing water and not enough time! What a great fishery! We're heading up to pipestone tomorrow for a little sled ride and maybe a little jigg'n. If your in the neighborhood, stop and say hi. We'll be on a blue and yellow ski doo rev and a silver ski doo 700.

Troutteaser - did you get up Pipestone and do any laker fishing? I had lots to do and didn'y have time to make it up. Stop by my place on Off sometime if you have time. Just follow the trail close to your buddies cabin over to my place.

We made it up today, didn't hit the lake until afternoon. We had to wrench on a sled for a while, but finally did make it out about 1:00. Fished for a couple hours or so. Caught 3 trout, broke off twice. Beautiful day, great ride, great fishing, only wish we were there longer. We'll be up next weekend Thursday night through Sunday, can't wait. Which place is yours Superbee? We'll stop in if we get a chance.

We are on French's Rd, there is a Gateway North Outfitters sign at the drive entrance. If you come by sled, follow the bough trail on Off Lake from the bay your buddies cabin is in to our place. Any size to the 3 you caught?

The group just came out from Pipestone this morning. They had some great fishing over there trip. The first day of fishing was a bust, had snowmobile trouble and didn't catch any lakers. The 2nd day fishing improved dramatically, 5 guys caught over 20 lakers. Fishing on day 3 was even better, the 5 ended up landing over 30 lakers. Over 50 lakers being landed over the 3 days of fishing. Best fishing was in Schistose and the NW Arm of Pipestone. I will post some pictures of some fish after I get pictures emailed.

Thanks for posting the pictures, Lucas.

For the third year in a row, the fishing on Pipestone was great for our group. As mentioned, we had snowmobile trouble heading up the lake on Thursday, and by the time we got everything taken care of, we only had 2 hours to fish. We had a few chasers, but nothing hit.

Day #2 brought sunny, cold, calm weather, and the trout were hungry! Fished all around the cabin, and up into the NW Arm, and every spot we tried held active fish. We kept enough for dinner (nothing better than fresh lake trout after a long day of fishing), and quickly released the rest. The total for the day was 24 lakers, most in the 25"-28" range.

Day #3 brought more sunny, calm weather, but much warmer (-18 in the morning). Our group headed to Schistose lake and the trout were going nuts. Every fish I marked just demolished my tube jig. Our total for this day was 30 fish.

Fish hit glow in the dark tube jigs with 1/4 ounce jigheads. We caught them off of points and rock-faces. Most in 25-35 FOW, with some caught in up to 65 feet. In 2 full days of fishing we hit over 25 spots, never fishing the same one twice. 90% of them held fish.

Slush was around, but not a problem if you used your head. I'm guessing it will be a non-factor after this week of cold weather unless they get a bunch more snow. Lucas had a great trail up to his cabin, which didn't have a drop of slush on it the entire 20-some miles.

For those of you on the fence.....get up there and do it! You will not regret it. I wanted to ice fish for lakers for a long time. Finally 2 winters ago we got a group together. I have been up 4 times since, have another trip planned in February, and Lucas just about has me talked into trying a March trip this year. Its an addiction...as much as I love fishing perch and walleyes on our big lakes, it will never be the same. Everyone owes it to themselves to try it at least once.

SuperBee,

Thanks for all the latest updates! I'll be coming up to the Camp on Sat thru Tues. How thick is the ice? Any extensions needed anywhere yet? Sounds like we're going to hit some milder weather so hope to move around a little more this year. Any trails into Coburg? Stop by and visit if you see us, three Polaris sleds, three Otters, or at the Camp. I'll try to give you a call before Sat.

Neil

TB Camp - I am going to try to head up to the cabin one day and resupply it. I am going to try and fish a bit as well. If I see you I'll stop by. I will be driving a green Polaris Widetrack. Veg the trapper may have been into Coburg, I haven't went that way yet this winter. If you need parking, we have parking available this year. We also have fishing licenses available. There is a good packed trail from here all the way up Pipestone and is marked with boughs all the way up. If I can be of any help, email me and let me know.

The group that came out the other day reported a little slower fishing than normal. They never seen temps above 0 and -38 was average for the mornings. Caught most of their fish in Schistose and on the NW Arm. 8# was the biggest laker for the trip and caaught enough for meals and to take home. All in all good trip, probably would have done better if it warmer as nobody uses portables in the group.

The group fishing Dogfly reported around 30 lakers for the trip with 15# being the largest and most in the 5-8# range. Caught a few pike as well jigging for lakers.

Hey Superbee-

Whats the good word up in north country. Lets just say me and the boys are all really excited to come up to your neck of the woods, hows it lookin up there conditions wise? Any fishing reports? Getting excited, all ready to go! See ya soon

A group is going in on Friday and I will post a report after they come out for the trout fishing. The crappies are biting good right now. A few friends were out and had a bunch of 12-15" and caught a couple of 16". Most all the snow on the lake is gone now, but it is suppose to get colderr and freeze everything back up after our rain. We supposed to get a bit of snow as well. Good running now. See you soon.

The group that came out reported the conditions were the best they have seen out of the 4 trips they did to Pipestone so far this year. Fishing was good, but not as fast as earlier trips. Plenty to eat and take home. Had to move more to locate the fish. Most fish were in the 3-7# range. Made the trip to the little walleye lake and got a few for a meal.

IMG_0194.jpg