• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Oneida lake ice

A very reliable source from north bay I just contacted is fishing Edgewater as I type.The ice is not uniform yet but safe in quite a few spots 5in mostly he is sitting on 8 inches of ice over 26fow.Bring a spud there are some spots that it goes down to 1 to 2 inches(BECAREFUL)ice is thin in some spots.He said he is marking allot of BIG fish nothing on the ice yet.Need creepers, He is suppose to call me and let me know how he did I will report.

Thunderman

• Replies 331
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hey guys, i heard some people were getting into the fish and some were having no luck. the dec was there i guess but they were not bothering people for parking on the side of the road at edgewater so thats a good thing.

I got to NY a bit earlier than expected and made it out on Oneida this past weekend and got 4 walleyes first thing in the morning, 1 was 21''s.... and that was about it and I left at 10...considering this was my first time on this lake, I consider it a success......thanks for all the tips guys, now hopefully I'll get a few days off here in the coming weeks so I can get out again.

Ace9N . . . limit is 3 over 15 on Oneida . . . just in case you did not know . . . don't want you to be welcomed by the DEC the wrong way.

where in my post did I say I kept any of them? JFC

I got to NY a bit earlier than expected and made it out on Oneida this past weekend and got 4 walleyes first thing in the morning, 1 was 21''s.... and that was about it and I left at 10...considering this was my first time on this lake, I consider it a success......thanks for all the tips guys, now hopefully I'll get a few days off here in the coming weeks so I can get out again.

Ace, he never said you did. He was just giving you a heads up on the Lake rule's is all not suggesting anything either way!

i would love to keep my 3, lol just need to get into them out there! maybe tomorrow.
Kyle I fished oneida about 4 times through the ice last year for walleyes and didn't do squat I did better on perch crazy.They will start to bite some time I think it would be better fishing for them off from chapman park twords the east on the south shore. Their were quite a few fish caught in the lakeport area this fall late you would be amazed the depth of water you could catch them out of in the winter Especially virgin territory whistle.

Yeah i remember that last year, went a copule times after work when you were there, doug and frankie and jimmy too...i went for 3-4 days straight and didnt get into them.....remember last year they were very time critical, seemed to only hit about 2 hours a day and it veryied as to when that was....i went off Edgewater Tuesday night and there was maybe 20-30 guys spread around they were all commin in as we were goin out and no one had caught a eye all day! they were hitting some whites and few perch.

Fished off williams park today 8 till noon caught 4 slob perch and a bunch of dinks 19 FOW.First thing this morning the fish were aggressive the big perch were caught 3 to 6 feet off bottom, it seemed like thats where you had to jig to keep away from the dinks they wouldn't go past the 3ft mark.Today was better than yesterday by far cool.

Iceman1603,

Oneida is like any other body of water you have to keep trying different things to see what the fish are intrested in.I think if you can get their attention you have a 50/50 chance to catch fish in any body of water.Oneida lake has so many different kinds of forage and species it makes it more tough to catch fish.One thing to remember is what ever is in their stomachs is usally the key to the lock and trying to mimmic what they are feeding on. Experament with different things you don't know unless you try wink.

Thunder

Iceman - Onieda is a fickle mistress. Alot of variables come into fishing success and number one on that lake is finding fish. Number two is getting em to eat. Usually getting them to go is easier than finding them. Iv'e caught alot of fish on "big stuff" there, ie - spoons and small jiggin raps but most of the time your looking at downsizing to small jigs tipped with a few spikes. The shallow fish(under 25 ft) tend to be more interested in bigger baits as they are cruizers looking for bait or young of the year fish. The deep flats fish are more keyed in on freshwater shrimp and small creatures.

Unless you want to go out there and set up camp dont bother with minnows. If they are in a minnow eating mood and you cant catch them on other stuff.... well... your doing something wrong... cool

A few thousand hours on that lake and just when your getting things figured out you get caught in one of those cool whiteouts where you cant see 50 ft...

Oneida is tough to put it mildly. There are very few sure things on that lake. You have to put in a lot of time and experiment a lot with different baits, presentations, lures, and whatever. And always carry a compass. Those white outs can give you a heart attack!

I thank you all for the info. I have fished the lake a few times but only one time was with any real success. Just went to the crowd. Maybe this makes me a (lurker?) but it worked. I may give it a go this afternoon for a couple hours since its a nice day out. The white outs are a monster that can move alot faster than I can as I figured out several years ago just starting out. Thank god for the compass my uncle had. Thanks again.

Iceman

Do you have any electronics? If so and you’re not marking fish, then move. I move around a LOT fishing Oneida. If you’re heading out from Edge water, find 22-28 fow and move south or west along that line. I can’t say that I kill them every time I do this, but it can turn a skunk into a meal.