• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

fishing and ice reports

use a live minnow on your deadstick/bobber line, and on your jigging line, this is where I use my pimple and waxie combo/ or even a small minnow head. This way they get their choice. Also, force that fish to make a decision. Make him chase it upward. Remember that crappies especially like to feed upward.

I talked to a couple friends who went fishing today on Half Moon lake. Half Moon is a flowage on the Wisconsin River. This section is located in central WI. in the city of Mosinee. Being a flowage, a current is present here. Ice was only 5-6 inches. Mid-morning thru evening the bite was decent for bluegill and crappie. Crappie were in th 7-10" range. Bluegill were mostly small, with a couple nice sized "keepers". Tear drop style jigs with waxies caught all the panfish. Crappie minnows were used but produced nothing. Tip-ups were set, the results were 3 flags and 1 13" walleye. Not the best day of fishing, but not a "skunk" either. This area can be a very good spot for a variety of fish, every year someone seems to catch a huge walleye or northern, however not a common occurance. Also the Big Eau Pleine is producing lots of walleye right now. The evening and night being prime. As usual, flags are many but fish run small. Early ice can be good for "action" here, but size is something to be desired. I haven't been out yet to either place, but hope to try it tommorrow or this weekend. Who knows, I'll probably get a wild hair up my butt and fly up to Minnesota! Good luck fishing!! smile.gif

------------------
http://groups.msn.com/canitbeluck

Minoqua area fishing report as of 12/16/03......Ice conditions surprisingly good after last weeks (and last nights) snow. Artic cold firmed up most slush, ice 6-8" on average.
Walleyes good. Minocqua providing good action starting around 3 pm. After dark best, fishing 6'-18' same areas, fish moving around. Mostly legal fish 16-19" with a few in low 20" range. lake Tomahawk, Katherine, Kawagasaga also good reports. Other lakes to try--Squirrell (south end), Carrol, Little Arb, both flowages. Jigging Raps, storm wild eyes, working well on agressive fish to 30".

Pike good also. Fish to 36" this past week. Large suckers, shiners best. Try Gilmore, Madeline.

Bluegills starting to slide out to 4-6' depths since snow cover. Minocqua chain good action, good size. Moussees best. Shish chain, Flambeau chain.

Perch and Crappie reports few.

Snow depth 6-8". 4 wheeler travel ok. Some snowmobile. Not ready for trucks.

------------------
http://groups.msn.com/canitbeluck

[This message has been edited by can it be luck? (edited 12-18-2003).]

we have been out in the Iowa, Sauk county area the ice is 2-6 inches. A few Gill hits on small green or orange jig and waxie. A friend was catching bass and northern on tip ups we are going out again tomorrow and i'll be sure to post with any new info.

LET EM' GO AND LET EM' GROW

Hate to tell you Pbowhunter but saw two vehicles on Pine Lake (baldwin) on Tuesday. It's got about 9 inches right now. You've got me thinking awfully hard on where you were fishing in St. Croix county for jumbo perch. My guess is something smaller and shallow? I won't say where I think it is. O.R.?

BTW hunter ---- Get the waxies ---- I've been getting more crappies on them than minnows. Been using minnows for my deadstick up high and jigging them up with a jig/waxie