• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Slammin Salmon!!

Outdoor video Production Forum/Fish Fever posted a clip of me fishing Little River, page 2 (Marks Salmon). Information on this river as well as others on the NE side of wisconsin can also be found under the Wi/Root River Times thread as well as Open Water Forum/Did you hook him in the mouth?. Fishing should be starting real soon. I'm planning for a weekend trip to Little Bay De Noc for walleye and perch, but a 5 mile detour will be taken on the return trip to visit some "old friends", SALMON! grin.gif I hope they'll be there waiting for me, still a tad early though. Looking at my calender, I see that the film clip was shot on Oct 1st or 2nd. of last year. Work pending, hopefuly I'll be able to go. I hope to have some good reports to share. Good luck fishing!! Mark http://www.fishfever.com/actionvideo.htm

[This message has been edited by can it be luck? (edited 09-17-2003).]

Fished Little River this past weekend, nothing yet. The Menominee River had lots of fish jumping around, but rocks and snags make for a difficult time. Caught 1 King. One more week and the fish should be in good. Oct 1st is usually safe to say that a trip would be "worthwhile". Good luck, can it be luck?

------------------
http://groups.msn.com/canitbeluck

looperhunter, read the thread "Did you hook him in the mouth" in the Open water forum. I use a treble tied on with a 8" tag end hanging off. A 1/2-1 oz weight on the tag end. The concept is that when the fish "bump", the hook comes first, followed by the sinker. As stated in the thread, the line is tossed out and kept tight, the fish will move around and "bump" or bite your line. A VERY fast strike is needed to hook them, they will not hang on to the bait. A fine red mesh is sold at fabric stores, a yard of material, spool of red thread, and mini-marhmallows to make spawn bags. Spawn can also be found by the dumpsters at the Little River cleaning area. A 4" square of mesh, then add M mallows or spawn, tie off. E-mail me and I'll direct you to the "cess pool" that's where I fish mostly. The footage on the fish fever site is shot there. [email protected] PS: On my link I have some pictures of Little River and some fish that came off it. Sorry, see that you have your addy posted, Ill send you some info tonight..Gotta head out to work now.

------------------

[This message has been edited by can it be luck? (edited 09-24-2003).]

CIBL
What do you fish for kings with, spin or fly? What types of baits?
I'm over on the north shore of duluth and mostly do the drift thing with yarn and spawn and the ocasinaly eggsucking leech. Because you can use trebles over there are there secret baits or tackle that i should pick up before i make a trip? Pathetic run over here so far so i might have to do some driving to the little or the pe****ago in comming weeks> keep me informed.
[email protected]

looper, When are you planning on going? Playing it by ear? Let me know a few days in advance and I'll try and get you some up to date info. There's a few different spots I can tell you about, all REAL close to each other. Duck openers this weekend so no salmon for me.....But I feel a virus comeing on, might have to "call in" a sick day at work, a touch of Salmonella and Troutitis! grin.gif

------------------

cibl- yeah its gonna be a by the seat of my pants trip, with working 40+ a week, and college, and the smallmouth bitting like crazy, its been tough to get into the salmon thing. Think i'm gonna hit the brule on sat at about 5 though, see if i can get a chromer, steelhead or coho, and then stick around after dark for some late lake run browns. I'll let you know how i did.

looperhunter, went to Little River again yesterday, saw 1 fish. I dont know whether the DNR is stocking or scenting the river any more. Every year's been just plain crazy, this year I haven't seen squat. Stopped at the Menominee River also, fish are in fairly well, but it's a tough big river to fish salmon. Caught 2 sturgeon in about 45 minutes of fishing, and lots of "bumps" but no salmon. It was dark so I didn't fish the Peshtigo, I dont think you can fish by the dam after sunset. Last week I was at the Peshtigo and the fishing was pretty fast right up against the dam. Landing fish there is a little difficult due to the pileings the fish seem to go around, but the bite was fairly fast, so it works itself out. My nephew fished by Sturgeon Bay last week and did fairly well, I personaly never fished salmon there, never had the need to. I could talk to him and get some directions as to where exactly he fished. The Kewaunee River has been getting stocked heavily for the last few years, this may be another spot to try. I'm really bummed out about the Little River, it was like shooting fish in a barrel. If you're comeing down this weekend, there's a good chance that I'll be able to meet you. Maybe start at the Peshtigo? Try some of the other rivers? [email protected]

------------------

Canitbeluck; Good to hear the Peshtigo is still cranking 'em out. We fished it quite a bit a few years ago before heading further south. Fun to try to land those fish right up by the dam. Are you crossing on the river trestle? We also used to hit the Dam on the Oconto with some luck, there was always something there, maybe sturgeon, maybe salmon, but action of some kind.

No, I didn't fish on the paper mill side. I parked in the lot on the N side and fished right against the wall, wadeing up close to the dam. The far N side had the most flow, so baits were hard to keep down without lots of snags. Move over 15' and the water was much calmer and hookups were pretty quick. There's about 4 or 5 pileings close to the dam that the fish seem to go around every time, makes it interesting, even the tresell pileings come into play when the fish run downstream. Anyways they dont go far, so usually you'll get another chance at em. There were a few guys on the paper mill side fishing the calmer waters, they also had some action.

------------------

CIBL, We fished a bit on that side but did a lot better landing fish on the other side. We saw quite a few browns in there as well. I might get some time off late next week and head down that way. Maybe hit the Pesh again for fun, then head further south, depending on water levels. Have you ever hit Baileys habor for browns? That can be cool, watching them swim around the docks and such. We hooked a few at night after things quieted down there.

Never fished at Baily's. I talked to my nephew who fished last week in Sturgeon Bay. I never fished there, but he said they caught some by the Marina, by some real expensive houses. He said there's a culvert that runs under a road, and the fishing was pretty easy. Salmon and browns. Also he said that the Anapee River by Forestville was doing pretty good. This weekend I might start at the Kewaunee and head south, Anapee, Sturgeon Bay, etc. New rivers to me for fall fishing, but what the heck, my honey hole(Little River) hasn't been to productive this year. frown.gif Then again, maybe I'll start at the Little River and head south...And hit them all!! smile.gif

------------------

Fished Sturgeon Bay today. Man, I thought Little River was easy, this was like shooting fish in a barrel! Never fishing there before, I didn't know what to expect. A walkway wall which constricts a good amount of flow through the channel is there. Two culverts that run underneath the walkway, too include a nice fishing pier/platform over them had a good flow of water with many fish spawning and cruising around. Best of all, no one fishing it! Me and my girlfriend had the place to ourselves(minus tourists) from 9am-3pm. In that time we managed to catch around 15-20 fish. Standing above the fish on the platform, at times we could see 4-7 fish at a time. I shot up a roll of film today. Pictures of caught fish and fighting fish. What I thought was the coolest pictures of all were overhead pictures of several fighting, finning, and nest building salmon and browns. Clear flowing water, rock/rubble bottom, lots of fish! I can't wait to get the pics developed. If they look as good on photo as they looked today, I would like to post some pics of the fish.

[This message has been edited by can it be luck? (edited 10-18-2003).]

CIBL; I've never been to te spot you describe. When we fished out of Sturgeon bay it was always with the boat. Is that spot in the ship canal, toward the lake from th main drag? And why no fisherman??? Sounds like you had a great time, what was your biggest fish?

Traveler. There are 2 drawbridges over the shipping canal. On the western one, on the southwest end of the bridge is a marina and Appleby's resteraunt. I parked in the lot at Appleby's and walked out to the walkway/jetty, maybe 100yds or so. Find Appleby's and your there. While looking for this spot, I drove around and checked out a lot of shoreline. I never seen any sign of fish anywhere. My girlfriend spotted the "culverts" which we were looking for. We first parked by a park with a walkway along the lake. Again not seeing any fish sign as we walked the path. Once we got to the culverts, we were high fiveing and nothing but smiles, we hit the motherlode! Fish everywhere! The current running through them must have been the attraction. smile.gif It actually became boreing after a while, too easy. People? Plenty of camera toteing tourists checking out the penninsula and asking, "What kind of fish are those?", but no fisherman that I seen other than a young kid who I let use a spare rod to catch his first salmon.

------------------