• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Price of Black Oil sunflower seed

Jim Almquist

I don't blame you, Jay.

On Tuesday (when there was still only your single feeder, Jay), one of the key area birding guides asked me if it was a good idea to put up more feeders at the Ribs2 site, and I said it was a bad idea for bird photographers because it gave the birds too many perching options.

I don't know who put up the second feeder, but if you're photographing birds there, it's a simple matter to take down and hide all but one feeder so the birds will come in where you want them, and then put up the extra feeder(s) again before you leave.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jonny, you are correct we had a good day!

I have a question for Jim, Jonny or whomever else is monitoring the rib feeding stations. If your not around when I come up next and I have a bag or two of seeds... should I just leave the full bag out by the tree like over at D. Morse's house or just top them off? I'm guessing leaving a plastic bag full of seed would be okay.

Buzz...Probably best ask Jay for info on the Ribs 2 station .... with this sale on the seed going on, we all have enough seed to choke a horse this year....lol!...as far as the Owl Avenue station(ribs1) ....really there's plenty still there yet also....not any room to put it anyways....maybe with the major snows this year,the deer will start "yarding up".....The deer chewed up a few pounds that I put on the ground a couple weeks ago at ribs1....but still put the majority high off the ground....just add when you see that the station looks like it needs some seed.....I'm not leaving seed bags as like the Spruce road station last year.....somewhat of a different situation there........Mike....How did those BIF images of the GGO turn out?....bet they are sweet grin

Quote:
Mike....How did those BIF images of the GGO turn out?....bet they are sweet

Well had I had good light and not that flat dark early morning no sunrise stuff we had yesterday... I could have had the GGO flying right in and past me. I ramped up the ISO but it still wasn't worthy of posting. I can send it to you via e-mail to see what I "just missed" but I wouldn't want to post it anywhere as the quality is just not good. That Owl is a beauty.

Well I just got the "heat" from mama... I won't be coming up now on Saturday... gotta go break the news to my compadre.

I think next time up I'll need to work on those BB WP's.

I hear they're not too spooky around humans???

Mike, the black-backed and three-toed woodpeckers are pretty tolerant if you're quiet and don't bring a lot of company along on the hunt.

McDavitt Road, one road over from where the Ribs2 station is on S. Admiral Road, is one of the best places. Lots of dead and dying tamaracks for them to strip the bark off of. Best thing to do is park and walk down the road, pausing often to listen for the quiet tap-tap of the bark-stripping process. Another good location is the Blue Spruce Road just south of the feeding station, or just north of the intersection with Hwy. 133. Same tamarack deal in there.

With all the feeding stations and everyone seeming to get involved with the area it sounds like a great place to watch the birds and photograph.

Last year I had White Winged Crossbills, Pine Grosbeaks, Gray Jays and a lot of Snowy Owls. This year I haven't seen any of the above yet. Maybe they are still comming!

Has this been an above average year or does it seem to be down in numbers at the bog?

It's tough to average the owls, because some years there seem to be almost none and other years quite a few. But I expect there are at least 6 to 8 great grays calling the Bog home this winter, with as many or more northern hawk owls.

Borealhunter can probably give you a better sense of that if he sees your post on this thread because he's been birding the Bog for many years.

Crossbills go where the spruce/fir seed crops are, and we have a lot of crossbills right now over in the Arrowhead and points south. Pine grosbeaks seem about average in numbers around Ely, as do the evening grosbeaks. Redpolls and siskins seem about the usual, too, where I do most of my birding/bird photography.