• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

The Root River Times

What would be a good time to head to the Root River this fall? Are there any good places to camp down there? I was there checking it out this spring and was surprised at how much city there was. Any help would be great.

Hey, thanks for your reply CIBL. Where are those rivers you mentioned? Are they WI or MI? It would be a much better trip to just whip across northern WI to get to Lake Michigan. Do you know of any rivers in the extreme northeastern quadrant of WI that are worth making the trip? I'm looking for something that is a little more consistant then the Brule. More Fish.

Scifisher

Scifisher, I personaly never fish the Root. The close proximity to "city" may be the reason for heavy pressure. I see you're from Duluth, ever consider other rivers? Marinette, Oconto, and Peshtigo has some really nice rivers/streams that you would probably be interested in, closer too. Unless the city is the "attraction" I would consider these places. The very last of Sept and early Oct can be hit or miss, but when you hit...it's usually great! The fish are fresh, green, and full of life! Mid Oct thru Nov is more of a consistant bite, more fisherman and dieing fish though. Almost every river that runs into the lake has a run of fish, so the choices are many. Spawn sacks are the bait of choice for fall fishing. To be honest with you, no bait is even needed in a lot of cases, the fish are large and swimming around in confined areas so if you keep a "tight" line to your bait you'll get plenty of "bumps". Many fish will be foul hooked, these fish must be released. If interested in some other spots in those areas, let me know. Good luck, can it be luck?

Hey Scifisher, fellow Duluthian here, I've been making the run to the root for 6 or 7 years now. When it's on, there isn't a river I've seen that can match the heer numbers of fish down there, and I've fished quite a few along the WI shore of lake Migchan. It is in the city, lots of people, no scenery, etc... but man oh man the fish. Drive time to the Oconto and Peshtigo is about 7 1/2 hours, same as the root due to it being freeway all the way. Water is key in the fall, when the rains hit, the fish will come fast, especially as the season wears on. Figure mid-sept thru mid-oct, but its hard to plan on a specific time, you really need the flexiblity to pay the weather. And if you can possibly fish weekdays, it REALLY pays down there, the weekend crush of people can be pretty bad. Theres a campground a few miles north of town, off 7 mile road I think. It's run by the city of Racine I think, and it's not bad. More questions, e-mail me. T

Scifisher, The rivers mentioned are in Wi. The Little River in Marinette is one of my favorites. I'm not sure if this one is even on a map. The Little river is small and confined with lots of fish but the fight of the fish is limited to small areas. The Menominee,Peshtigo,Oconto, are all within 20 miles of the Mi/Wi border, the far NE quad. These are larger rivers allowing for wider areas to fight fish. The Menominee is actually a border between Mi. and Wi.

i live in south east minnesota by the root and fish it all the time (every weekend)and in two years i have never ran into someone else fishing, ever. and i have yet to have been skunked fishing for smallies or trout. its a good bet if you go fishing on the root no matter what branch your going to do good.

------------------
SHAUN

The difference in distance between Duluth to Marinette vs Racine is around 100 miles saved. Travel would be faster as far as speed limits and highways to the Root but the trip across the UP via hwy 2/141 would definitly be a more scenic/shorter one. I'm not sure about the Root, but the NE section has choices of rivers, which I like. If they aren't running hard in one river, a 15-30 minute ride has you on a different one. Scifisher, when are you thinking about going? Is anything "set in stone" or are you playing by ear? The reason I ask is that I will probably squeeze in a late Sept trip to check things out. In between waterfowl hunting of course smile.gif. If you have an open schedule I could give you a report back and tell exact locations and tactics. As far as camping? Bring your lantern and a jacket, you may want to fish all night!! The Little River has a large parking/launch area as well as bathrooms located at the mouth of the river. This is a small shallow stream, but guys wade out hundreds of yards out into the lake chaseing after salmon and browns splashing around on the sand bars. I'm not sure of the date, but there is a law that you cannot fish at night upstream past the first dam or bridge on L Michigan tributaries. I'll post reports when the time draws near. Click on my signature, pics 1,8,12 are fish from the Little River. The fish I'm fighting is caught in probably the widest spot on the river. Heck, check out all the pictures!! wink.gif can it be luck?

[This message has been edited by can it be luck? (edited 08-27-2003).]

I'm keeping my schedule open. Right now, most weekends are open for a trip except the first weekend of october. Either the Root River or one of the rivers that you are talking about would be great. It has to be WI though. I don't want to buy a MI license.

Hey luck, Ive been eyeing the menominee to oconto river area and am definitely going to try it this year so please do post any reports from your trips to let us know if anything is happening. I have heard about the little river being good and used to be stocked heavily with chinooks but noticed that they have stopped stocking it now. I think the last time they stocked it was in like 99, so it should maybe still get a good run this year. Will be interesting to see how it is the next few years though.

Biff, I dont think they've stocked Little River in quite a few years. I always wondered why the salmon keep comeing back. I believe the old DNR stripping/hatching area is closed, I fish by the culverts a mile or two up from the lake. The few deeper holes will hold lots of resting fish. I've seen 3-8 salmon in the culverts at a time, almost knocked me over as I waded through to push them back down into the fising hole! The River itself does not look like it could hold any young salmon,fry, or smolts. I dont think the "conditions are right. Just my opinion.
http://groups.msn.com/canitbeluck

[This message has been edited by can it be luck? (edited 08-27-2003).]

Maybe with all the stocking Lake Michigan gets they just find their way into little river. You ever get into many salmon in the menominee, peshtigo, or oconto? I know a guy who says he does good on salmon on the peshtigo; I dont think they have ever stocked it that much...Nice walleye pics dude...beats fishing small natural lakes in MN where 28 inchers are big.

Biff, I do fish the Menominee and Peshtigo. Peshtigo is my brothers favorite. Fishing by the Peshtigo Dam is pretty good. The Menominee by the Menominee Dam is also good. The reason I like Little River is that it's small and concentrats the fish and the snags, or I should say lack of snags. Menominee and peshtigo Rivers can eat up some tackle when fishing spawn sacks. Menominee has walleye as well as sturgeon fishing also. Thanks for comment about my pictures, I put some more in there today. smile.gif

------------------
http://groups.msn.com/canitbeluck