• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Carp Rigs

Muddog

That is a sweet video. Thanks for posting that

Hair rigs are pretty cool to use. The european angler would maybe laugh at my rigs, but for here they work well enough. I know that I have caught plenty of carp I otherwise would not using a hair rig. I use power pro for my "hair" usually, nothing crazy. I have hair rigged dots candy, corn, boilies, potatoes, oatmeal balls, dough....... I'm sure I'm leaving some off the list, but you get the idea. I

I think the idea with the bolt rig is initially the carp feels no resistance, so the line should slide through the weight, However, there is a stop of some sort a short way back so when the carp feels the weight it spooks and hooks itself. I'm sure it's more complex than that, but in a nutshell......

This video shows exactly why I use light line, a small single hook, and no sinker. Leave just a little slack in the line and it shows any pick ups towards or away for a quick set. Windy days make it a little tough to use this method unless your boat fishing and can put your back to the wind. I have had these hair rigs on the back burner though...one of these days.

It looks to me that with a hair rig, The Carp will pick up the bait and most likely spit it out! So you want as much of the hook exposed as possible. When the Carp tries to spit the bait out the hook hangs up on the lip of the fish. The Carp backs up and tries to swim away from it and the heavy sinker sets the hook!

Watch it again and see if that is what you see.

If half of the gap of the hook was taken up by your bait, do you think your hook up % would be the same?