• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Exotic/Invasive Species yes..the pheasant

Why is the pheasant treated like the Holy Grail by "Uppity Yuppy" upland hunters?? When other exotic species are despised. Should we not work to eradicate this exotic species??

All in fun guys...but it is interesting how we pick and choose what we like....remember most flowers are actually weeds.

There are no clear cut (grouse pun intended) answers to this one. Some species have high value others are considered a threat:

Smallmouth bass across much of BWCA are invasive / non-native

Muskies across MN are invasive / non-native

The DNR hands outs tickets for buckets of minnows and then in the same breath makes big decisions on changing individual lakes food pyramid.

Pheasants, huns and chukars are all "invasive" to some degree. Pheasants are parasitic nesters on prairie chickens. But, I am glad they are here.

Rabbits are invasive in Australia

Zebra muscles while invasive and "bad" were a significant reason why Lake Erie cleaned up. Walleyes did well first and as the water clarity moves even deeper, Erie has become a smallie lake. Some may view the zebra muscle as a positive ... ???

Technically .... isn't wheat an invasive species originating in Europe?

Why is the pheasant treated like the Holy Grail by "Uppity Yuppy" upland hunters?? When other exotic species are despised. Should we not work to eradicate this exotic species??

I do! Every chance I get smile