• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Plastics-Which Ones?

riverrat56

I'm looking to start using plastics for panfish more, especially for crappies through the ice. I would like to know if you were starting out putting together a "plastics and jigs" tackle box what would the essentials be?

Style

Size

Color

Jig type and size?

Looking to spend ~$20

Thanks guys

Maynards Flutterbugs

Ratsos

Shrimpos

Optic stealth jigs (Little Atom)

Nuggies (Little Atom)

Noodles (Little Atom)

I would carry a variety of sizes and colors. There are so many to choose from. I'm sure more will chime in on this. cool

ole

For me it would be...

Flutter Jig

LA Nuggie

CJS Ratso Size 6 or 4

LS Optic stealth size 10 or 12

Lindy Fatboy size 8 or 10

Lindy Micro minno

1/16 oz collarless jighead

Berkley Power Minnow

Power Tubes with a 1/32 oz tube jig can be a hot ticket as well.

Colors... Well I like white, glow red, glow chartreuse, bubble gum and motor oil.

These have all been very, very good to me of the years. I rarely use live bait for panfish anymore.

Little Atoms Nuggies, Noodles, Micro-Noodles and Wedgies

Lindy Micro-Mino's, I love the paddle tails

Berkley 2" Power Minnows

Berkley Gulp Waxies, Maggots, Spikes, or Power Wigglers

Custom Jigs and Spins Ratsos and Shrimpos

Northland Bro Series Jig and Plastic Combos

Just about any panfish jig can work with plastics. 4, 6 and 8 for crappies, 10-12 for sunfish, but you can mess around with different sizes. Be sure to get some glows. I would get a mix of really exotic and vibrant colors, and I would also try some natural colors to imitate insect hatches. Glows are pretty popular with crappies.

Your budget probably won't allow for much more than the plastics, but I'm guessing you probably have a bunch of ice jigs that will work fine with the plastics.

Not sure I can really add to any of the aforementioned lists. Couple pretty good shopping lists posted there IMO.

My confidant bait would probably be a pink/white Little Atom Optic Stealth with a White Little Atom Nuggie plastic. Dang good combo right there.

Having trouble finding the Little Atom stuff, CJ&S Ratso Pink Head/White body would be a good choice too.

Little larger profile, Berkley 2" Power Minnow in Glow Chart on a Chartreuse or Glow White collarless jighead. Little Atom Optics (thats Optic & not Optic Stealth) work well with the Power Minnows as well.

Don't you dare leave the plastics isle without getting some micro nuggies or noodles or something in BLACK. I throw the black tails on quite often to test the water, and man do I love em!!! Most are afraid they can't be seen. FOOOOEY, buy one package and you will not regret it.

I started using plastics exclusively last winter and continued through the summer. The variety of plastics out there are great. I'm looking forward to trying the nuggies this year.

Man, you can lose your head with this stuff - all of a sudden you have a fistful of plastics at the checkout - you better have your debit card fully charged!!

Good tips guys - thanks.

Don't you dare leave the plastics isle without getting some micro nuggies or noodles or something in BLACK. I throw the black tails on quite often to test the water, and man do I love em!!! Most are afraid they can't be seen. FOOOOEY, buy one package and you will not regret it.

I usually use the brighter colors or glow jigs but when they seem to shy away from them, it's time for the black. I've had pretty good luck with black at night too, go figure.

Thanks for the reminder. I looked through my plastics and had little to offer in terms of black, so I found some black LA stuff @ Thorne Bros. Yes, black is good!

Just has a great weekend of crappie fishing using Diamond jigs and red finesse plastics.

I put the extended family (5 of them) on some great and constant fishing for the two hours we were out.

Best part as the guide, was not having to rebait the hooks.

I am sold.

Originally Posted By: muc33

Thanks for the reminder. I looked through my plastics and had little to offer in terms of black, so I found some black LA stuff @ Thorne Bros. Yes, black is good!

Black is the most overlooked color in the color spectrum. Contrary to what you would think, black baits give off the best profile out of all the colors. Since crappies feed up, the black is easier to pick out for crappies against the light shining down trough the snow/ice.

CA

I would second or third or fourth using black. I really like using the black diamond jig by CJ&S. I tip it with a red nuggie or several other plastic options. I also suggest the bro bloodworms. I have some of the blood red color and they have worked very well on the crappies already!

My plastics include ratso's and shrimpo's any color and all sizes work good for crappies. another good jig to try is the lindy combo of a genz bug with 1 or more lindy munchies, they immitate a mayfly larve and are deadly on crappies.

good luck!