• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

New to Walleye fishing HELP father inlaw

raue36

My father inlaw is going to take me fishing betweeen the holidays and I have never fished for walleyes. I have done my share of fishing over the years but not for walleye. I need som advice or technique, lures ect. He is very competitive so I do not know what to use. He said I was on my own the first day then "he would babysit me to catch fish the second day".

Going in the Alexandria MN area

Thanks in advance

I'd like to see you kick tail on you father in law grin. I'm no pro but here are some tips so take it for what it is worth.

You will have most of it figured out for you in the fact that he will be with you so you will likely be out at the right time and hopefully spot. That being said you will want shiners and fathead minnows. Again he will probably provide but if not that is what you need. A couple of jigs that I have used with good success are angel eyes, moon glows, and demons. You will want them in #4 size. Usually these jigs come in glow. Get green, white, yellow for color. The old standard is a plain hook (red or black) with a sinker about 1 to 2 feet up the line from the hook with a 3 inch shiner on it. Use these with a bobber (preferably a ice buster).

You will have to try a few different ways of hooking the minnow to see what they want but I usually start with hooking thru the back. It would be good to hook one thru the back and one either thru the mouth or thru the tail and see which you get more hits on and switch both to that. You will want to position your jigs about 1 to 3 feet off bottom with 1 foot likely being the best. If he is not providing the spot find the edge of a drop off and fish the bottom of the drop off if durring the day, the middle of the drop off if at dusk and the top of the dropoff after dark. Another option for one of your rods is to use a spoon like a sweedish pimple or buckshot rattle soon with a minnow head on one of the trebles. With this you want to jig it. Now go kick some tail. Oh and I expect a report! wink

Varmint jig in firetiger pattern in a 1/8 oz size or other spoons of similar size with different patterns. Pinch the minnow head off and place this on the treble. Start by a good rapid lift off the bottom and shake it in place about a foot off the bottom. If you have a flasher, watch how they react. You may need to stop wiggling it or lift it gently away from them and let them snap it as it falls. Let the spoon drop to the bottom occasionally to stir things up down there. Good luck, hope you do some schooling!

Good for him...and you! I've only gone once, last year, so an expert I am NOT. I noticed it is a different method than summer.Think slow, finesse fishing and small movements, rather than big and agressive types. The fish is coldblooded, and are the temp of their environment, and their actions reflect that.

I've been researching on-line a lot and there is LOTS of info , and videos on there that help a lot. Search on this forum for one , vexilar site is another, "Ice leaders"on the top of this page has info also. With a search on-line, you will have more info than you can read before you go.

Have fun

I am an avid walleye fisherman and I like to think I have learned a thing or two. Unfortunetly, the fish always keep me guessing. A few pointers for you though. Be prepared for almost anything. I am a huge fan of jigging. The type of spoon I use depends on water depth. If I am fishing shallower, <15', I like the action of glider spoons. If I am deeper, I like a more vertical presentation. Walleyes are smart, but they aren't the best at aim. I can only hope you have some sort of electronics, Vexilar, Marcum, ect. That is the only way to fish, and outfish your father-in-law. I always have one line set up witha bobber rig. Either a plain red hook or a glow jig, usually glow red, but, again, be prepared for anything. Also have glow blue and green available. Try to have a few sizes in each color too. If tehy are picky, go smaller. I have caught some pigs on the smallest frostee available(usually used for panfish) tipped with a wax worm. The posting about shiners and fatheads is a good suggestions, but again, the shiners may be too big of a presentation. If the fish are picky, downsize. Go to a smaller fathead with a plain red or glow hook. Now, the last thing, and what I think is one of the most important things... Technique. I am no expert, but I can tell you what works for me. Like I had said earlier, a walleye's aim isn't the best. Use bigger jigging movements, usually 6-12" or 12-24" to get their attention. Once the fish begins to rise on your bait, keep it moving at a slow wobble. Don't let it stop. Keep them interested. As you wobble the bait, slowly raise the tip of your rod, keeping the wobble going, and allow the fish to "chase" it up. If the fish comes up for it once and goes back down, don't give up, that fish will hit it. Just repeat the sequence over until he is on the ice. There are many other tricks to learn, but that is what keeps me going. If I learn something new and don't catch any fish, it has still been a successful day. You may also want to call a few bait shops in the area to see what they recommend. They will usually steer you in the right direction. Don't be tricked into the "latest craze". A few good spoons are buckshots, rattliong flier spoons, frostee's, and swedish pimples. It's a tall order to try to outfish anyone, let alone your father-in-law. Good luck with it and I hope you at least catch a few. Merry Christmas.

If you want to keep it easy two poles.One with bobber split shot and green glow demon. start that one eight to ten inches of bottom. If you like to jig perrch colored #4 chub darter ive been having luck with. set a slip knot as if you had a bobber on a foot off the bottom for a reference,( unless you have a flasher), but other wise just set up another bobber with a plain red hook. change up the bait from the other rod. bigger or smaller shiner. One shiner one fat head or chub. thats probably your safest bet for not fishing them ever.