• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Burnett/Polk County Smallmouth??

I don't have any personal experience with any smallmouths in the area. But I would try the St. Croix, Clam and Yellow Rivers...probably in that order. As far as lakes, Clam and Yellow both have them, but I don't think their population is anything huge. I've fished Yellow a lot and have never caught one. Although I have only fished out there for muskies and walleyes. Clam I have only fished a couple of times and did catch one small one out there.

Des Moines Lake has smallmouths, but not sure about the population or quality. I can't think of any others off hand in Burnett County. Polk County I can't be much help at all.

AWH

Try Pipe Lake in Polk county. It is small and very clear. Supposedly the clearest lake in that county. I have a cabin on a lake near there and run over to Pipe for a change of pace. I have had luck with cranks and plastics in deeper water (15-20 ft) during the day. The fish are shallower in the morning and evenings. Fish are decent sized. I recently CPR's a 20 incher.

The lake is small, so just get a map off the DNR HSOforum and start fishing the break lines.

Watch out for the jet skis on the weekends.

Good luck

I know how to get there but don't the the road names well.

Take 48 east from Luck to Cty Rd E. (I'd guess E is 10-11 miles from Luck). Take a right on E. Go roughly 2 miles on E and take a left (east again) on the dirt road. (This dirt road is the last left before the indian reservation. Roughly a half mile before it) Go east on this road. You will do a hard left and then a hard right curve on the road-keep going. Go a mile or two past these curves and take a right at the brick house which used to be a school. Cute well kept house. You cannot miss it on the left side of the road. The road you turn right on may be Pipe Lake Road or something similar. Follow this road until you come to the lake. It curves back east once on you. Go maybe 3-4 miles. The road splits upper and lower Pipe lake. You will see the access on your right until as soon as you see the water of the lake. If you go over the bridge you went too far.

I hope this helps.

Let me know how you did.

Is the Big Round that you are talking about over by Big Trade Lake if so I fish Big Trade alot plus I fish Long Trade too So i could be over some help to

Thanks Big Fish Hunter247

P.S Shoot me an E-mail if you need anymore info it [email protected]

[This message has been edited by Big Fish Hunter247 (edited 08-14-2003).]

I have a place on Blake, near Pipe and make a trip over there a couple times a year specifically for the smallies. It's got the best population in the county other than the St. Croix. Not bad LM in the lake either.

I fish Pipe on Friday during the day till a about 6pm I found 3 largemouth and 2 smallies I started out on the big lake on friday came back on saturday the lake was so packed you couldnt hardly fish the big part so I went under the bridge. Found a couple more smallies and some northern it wasnt the greatest fishing for the weekend but I guess when the water temp doesnt get below 80 than I see why. But I have a question is that a natural channel between the two lake because the water clarity is so different or is that a man made channel but thanks for the info on this lake I will be back in the near future hopefully it cools down soon smile.gif Big Fish Hunter247

Can anybody that fishes Big Trade alot tell me if this is true looking at a map for this lake it says that there are smallmouth on this lake I fish it pretty much everyweekend and I have NEVER seen on come out of here I am just wondering if there is any truth to it any info would be good thatnks Big Fish Hunter247

I was looking at the lake map for the lake and it said that the were rare BUT the lake map was from 1965 if I am correct maybe back than there were It could be you never know?? I wonder if the DNR would ever give that lake a shot for smallmouth it has everything else its just my thought

Big Fish Hunter247

Hey Walleye Guy I was gonna fish Round this last weekend but when I was driving by I noticed that it was kinda green?? Have you been catching anything out of there I started out last weekend fishing Long Trade thats is still green frown.gif I ended up fishin Big Trade which on Friday night just before sunset I got the biggest muskie I have ever caught it was a 45 incher a very nice fish on 17# test fishin for bass smile.gif but anyways can you let me know whats goin on I might just fish over there this weekend I am not sure yet?? Thanks Big FishHunter247

BFH,

I fished last Saturday night with buddy, his girlfriend and my 3 year old daughter. Don't let the green algae cover discourage you. From the third week in July until Septmeber 15 or so it is pretty green. Look at the green as another form of cloud cover.
We fished the edges of the bars with Leeches and a slip bobber and did pretty well despite the cold front. A half dozen walleyes (all under 15 inches) 8-10 very nice sunfish that we kept (30-40 that we let go)4 perch between 11-13 inches and a bonus crappie. We also caught 7-8 bass. Two went 2.5-3 and the others were roughly a pound or so.

Big Round is very fertile. But the weeds provide great cover for all fish and the fish per acre is some of the best around. I won't be up this weekend but will be up the 12-14th with 6 others guys for a golf weekend.

Give me your email adress if you want direction to my place. I can point out a few spots and offer you a beer.

Have any of you fished Horseshoe Lake in Polk County...sister lake to Pipe from what I hear? I've never been and I'm going up there friday for the weekend. Staying right on the lake. Just wondering what kind of bass fishing is up there (smallies or largemouths)? Any info would help.

Thanks,
BigMike