• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

8 inch auger?

slayer21

Trying to decide what brand of auger to buy. I keep hearing negatives about strikemaser, jiffy and ect. What does everyone prefer and why or why not the other. a little tight on money but im going to spend it on a good auger that is going to last me.. i take pretty good care of my stuff. and imput would be great

I have an Eskimo and love it. I drain the gas each year, and that's about all that I do. This year, I pulled it off the shelf in -11 degrees, filled the tank, pumped the primer bulb and it fired up on the 2nd pull. It's 3 years old at this point, not a single complaint.

I have a jiffy that is now at least 15 years old and it works like a champ. Like the post above just drain it's gas every year and she starts right up the following year with a fresh gas. Some guys will argue to leave gas in there all year with a preservative (becasue of drying out the gaskets) however after 15 years of draining that has never been a problem.

Just make sure to get an auger with "chipper" blade as these blades are more effective and will still effieicntly cut even when dull.

bigminnow

I bought a new Strike light last year and absolutely love it.

Why to buy a strike light

Lightest auger on the market 20lbs. (except for nills but big $$$)

Super quiet

By Far the best customer service.

And no mixing gas and oil. Simply fill it at any gas station.

The reason I spent the extra money was because of how light it is. I typically do a lot of walking and anywhere I can cut a few pounds it is worth every penny.

I also have an eskimo. Have had it a year or 2. I leave gas in it in the summer and start it every month. I have no problems with it. Pump the primer and it will start within a couple pulls every time. Cheaper, a little bit heavier, but a good auger for the price.

Personally i prefer a cutting blade vs the chipper blade, when you have a sharp blade, it will cut faster than a chipper. i always carry an extra set of blades, so if they get dull i just change them.

my experiences-

Jiffy-old 3hp 10"- heavy, loud, hard to start

new- have not tried them

Strike Master- newer 8", no problems, great cutting, sometimes hard to start (may have been the specific motor and really cold temps)

Eskimo-stated above 2-3 yr old auger 8"

Nills-no experience

I love my SM 224 it fast pretty light 24lbs and very reliable it has a decompression button when ya start it so it pulls very easy when its cold out. drills holes very effectively with the blade system 2-4" and 2-8" fastest drill I have ever used... however thier are not making this auger no more frown so I would have to say stay with a local company and buy an express (strikemaster)

Have never had an issue with the Strikemaster that is in my aresonal. Might not be quite as fast as some of the mega buck ones out there but then a few seconds here and there will not matter at the end of the day to me. They also have GREAT customer service! Take care and N Joy the Hunt././Jimbo

I have my Trust Stikemaster Mag2000. It is about 10 Years old and works great. Have used A friends Jiffy Auger and it works great also. Biggest thing to think about is will you be re-drilling holes (chipper blade) or will you be drilling new holes (multi-blade sysytems). After that settle on a price and go from there. All units seem pretty good. You are getting into the Chevy vs. Ford Debate. I Like Strikemaster, but they are all similar to a point.

Had a Jiffy for close to 20 years and it ran and worked great. I like the fact that I could sharpen my own blades so I always had a sharp set when out fishing. I now have a Nils and there is NO way I would ever consider going back. Weight and speed make so much difference in a full day of fishing and now with all the snow it will make even a bigger difference. You will not run and gun lugging a 3 HP Jiffy when the snow is 20" deep vs a 22 pound Nils. When you are looking consider how many years you will be using the auger and not just the price up front. Buy it as a investment for better fishing for years to come with little need for any maintenance.

I bought my Jiffy 23 years ago and it still runs great with only 1 carb repair. I rarely drain the gas after winter or use stabil but I do use fresh gas to start the winter off. I can use a file to sharpen the chipper and then buy a new one every handful of years.

I'd have to say I use my auger more than the average guy and I estimate I have over 15,000-20,000 holes drilled with it and I haven't so much as changed a spark plug. The thing is absolutely bullet proof. Two pulls and I'm rollin every time. I've talked to a lot of people over the years and I've heard a lot of negatives about Jiffy’s (LOUD!!!! & Heavy) Eskimos, I haven't owned one but have heard the quality is quite inferior to the StrikeMasters. Most people use their augers a few times a year and for them the other brands might be OK? Good luck with your decision, but in my mind there's no decision to make.