• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Strugglin on the ice, getting frusterated (crappies)

Burnham

i came onto this thread pleasantly suprised today! anyways yes i do continue to jig when they go after my jig. but havent experimented with different techniques too much, and now i definately will. this has to be the best site ever lol grin

I have a system for my crappie fishing on any lake I fish in the winter.. I'ts northland "whistler" jig heads, Flutter bugs, Bro bugs, Charmers, all down sized with minnow heads or plastics.. Use those dead minnows in your bucket.. And think and act like a bug while you are jigging.. Have fun..

You should look into buying a Jason Mitchell 24" spring bobber rod. They're only $30 and I've caught a lot of crappies that I would not have without it. This is my first year using one and you can see and feel all those light bites. Maybe it's just in my head but I really feel like I can feel every bite.

They always say you should fish with confidence, when I'm using that rod I am confident.

caught 18 crappies in an hour tonight. 26 fow. My flasher lit up a right away and I had to try multiple jigs before they started biting but when I found the right combo they hit as soon as I go the bait in the strike zone, 5'-10' off the bottom.

don't be afraid to switch your jig heads, switch color sometimes just a little change will make a differance.

yea ive noticed that..i have finally been catchin quite a few. tonight i caught around 15 in 2 hours, with switching jigs quite often...ive hammered them a couple days, ive caught some 9 inchers, but none bigger.now if i could start findin some more size lol

I have found that the bigger crappies are higher up in the school. Try to find the highest level that the crappies are coming in and stay about a foot about that. If you can get them to move up to the bait, more times than not they will bite. One tip when using spoons or plastics is, when the fish is approaching and about six inches away, raise it quickly about a foot and use a steady small wiggle. Kinda like a game of keep away. What this will do is trigger that fish from nuetral to aggressive.

I have found that the bigger crappies are higher up in the school. Try to find the highest level that the crappies are coming in and stay about a foot about that. If you can get them to move up to the bait, more times than not they will bite. One tip when using spoons or plastics is, when the fish is approaching and about six inches away, raise it quickly about a foot and use a steady small wiggle. Kinda like a game of keep away. What this will do is trigger that fish from nuetral to aggressive.

I agree with the above statement 100% If I am working a fish low and see a mark way higher than the rest, I move up to the higher fish very quickly. Typically they have been the nicest ones of the day. I play the cat and mouse game as well.

CA

if anyone is willing to come to burnsville on a nice day i will try to put you on some crappies on a local lake.

they arnt the biggest fish in the world but you can get some keepers. and the action is fast and furious