• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Polaris Sportsman 700 EFI Issue?? HELP!

Cowdy

Let me know if any of you guys have dealt with this issue.

I was out plowing this weekend. When I would raise my plow (Use the winch) or let the machine drop down to idle it would almost quit. But as soon as the plow was up or the rpm's, the machine ran fine. However, the battery light would keep on blinking along with the light on the tach needle.

I should also add that I put hand and thumb warmers on a week ago or so.

But, after plowing for about 30 min., it finally quit completely. I tried starting it again and it just turned over and didn't fire. Then pretty soon is would barely turn over.

So I went inside and had supper. I came back out about 45 min's. later and it started just fine. So I continued to plow and it started acting up again, so I quickly put it on the trailer just in case. It's very hard to move around because I have tracks on it.

Does anyone know what the heck is going on? Also, does anyone know where the alternator is on this machine and can you get a beefier one?

Thanks

KC

From what I've been reading through all the posts,

it would seem that most ATV's don't seem to have a big

enough capacity to run all these DC add-ons, that put

heavy loads on the electrical systems.

What do you seasoned riders think..Roofer/LEP

I am new to the bigger machines (08 FI Kawi Brute).

One solution would be to double up the batteries for

more draw/reserve power, but there aint room for that under

my seat. I wonder if they sell after market beefier

charging systems??

Thought about this quite a bit since I saw the post. I'm not real familiar with the 700's or 600's. I know on my 500, it came with a different battery set up than the newer ones. Our 500 is an 07 also. I noticed when I saw another 500 that someone had on one of the rides that it had a bigger battery and in a different location.

Seems to me that the Polaris ECM needs power to run, and the charging system may not be enough with some additional things running on it. Maybe it's that the batteries get run down too much. Not sure. Somethingfishy has had a few Polaris's now with the same add-ons (winch, plow, hand warmers, etc.). Maybe he has some insight also.

Does the machine get stored in a heated area? Without heat, I can't recommend a battery tender enough. Especially with these EFI quads.

I'm not sure what the output is on other specific models, but with my Foreman, I plowed at least 20 driveways, the park trail, and my entire street and cu-de-sac this weekend. All in all close to 4 hours of straight plowing. During this time I had my headlights, hand warmers and thumb warmers on high. My ATV is a 2002 with over 8000 miles and still has the original battery. I don't charge it between uses and never have.

I'm not aware of any "aftermarket charging systems" that are available but I have heard of having charging coils rewound for higher output.

Possibly there is an underlying problem with the factory system or just a weak battery to start with. I'd do a load test first to determine if everything is right to start with before trying to change or beef up the original system.

I plowed for 2 days last snow. I have a Suzuki and also ran hand/thumb warmers,lights (all three front,also including reverse lights), and winch and have had no issues with my charging system or battery. My wheeler has over 2000 miles on it and is also fuel injected, and I have no problems running all my electrics. It's to bad you couldn't put a marine battery on your rear rack, and run cables to it to help your atv battery keep up.

I don't think it's been mentioned before, and it may be a "no-brainer" when in circunstances like this, but always be sure to run your ATV in LOW or first gear. It will help a little to have your motor running higher RPM's while plowing.

I don't have a winch or plow on the Rincon since I have a pile of "Green" paint (John Deere) in the garage with a blower on the front. The only trouble I've had with that is the carb freezing up. Got that problem fixed now.grin

One of these days the Rinny might be decomissioned to full utility duty.

I agree. I read on another forum that the system on a sportsman only charges at higher rpm's. The person said 1400 rpm or more.

LEP, the rincon doesn't need a plow or winch. It goes right through the snow. Well, most of the time. laugh

Weak battery or alternator would be my guess. I plow with my Sportsman 800, it has approximately 1700 miles on it. While plowing I run Hand/Thumb Warmers, Heated Seat, Lights On, using a 3500lb winch. I also have a 12 volt stobe beacon that I ruin when plowing. I run in low gear unless I am taking a long high-speed run on my final cleanup of the edges.

I run in low gear unless I am taking a long high-speed run on my final cleanup of the edges.

I suspect this is the key. Low range allowing for higher RPMs so the charging system can operate the way it's suppose to.