• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Swedich Pimples?

honda4life

I usually use a minnow head.

Jig the spoon aggressively a few times to attract fish. If they don't hit the aggressive jigging go to some slower lifts and falls, or try gently shaking the spoon. If that doesn't work hold it motionless, for as long as 20-30 seconds if fish are looking at it and not hitting. It really helps to watch a flasher so you can tell what the fish are doing.

If they're still not hitting I'd change spoons or colors, or try a minnow tail instead of a head, or a whole live minnow, etc.

Make sure to put on the little red flapper deal on the hook end. It seems like the walleyes prefer that. I have always had better luck with a head and seemed to have a better hookup ratio with the plain hook. I don't know if you have any color strips on your pimples or are they just plain all silver but I have had good luck on the green and the glow.

i personally prefer the north land forage minnow...swedish pimples are pretty decent but they havnt produced for me in the last few years on Mille lacs but they are still a good lure

I use minnow heads on my jigging spoons

It's almost like Swedish Pimples got "left in the dust" of all the other jigging spoons options available today but I still think they're a solid option, especially in clear water, when fish seem to respond well to some sort of flash. When using them, I always tip with a minnow head or tail.

While not my first option, they have a great subtle action that can trigger fish at times. Often I will keep one rigged and ready and if I can't get a fish on my Buckshot spoon or Lindy Flyer I will drop down a pimple. Another trick I use is to attach an split ring to the top hole as well, this gives the spoon 2 pivot points (the other is the split ring on the bottom) and when you just "shake" the rod the spoon will flutter back and forth with out really moving.

I've been using them for years and they've worked great for me on most days. There are those days where the fish prefer a minnow on a tip up but I've seen more days when they'll out fish a tip up. I bring it up about 2 feet and let it free fall with an occasional 3 or 4 foot pull. At times a simple flutter will trigger a bite. A flasher is almost a must since a lot of the time, they'll hit it on the way down.

Hands down, best walleye ice lure on the market. Tried and true. Don't leave home w/out a box full of pimples.

I couldn't agree more.

I've got too many stinkin' ice lures (yes, you can have too many lures...really), but all you need is the pimple.

I feel most ice lures are just variations on themes, and you need to find a favorite(s) that you can fish confidently. There are really only a few different styles out there, and the pimple fills the "pounding" type lure/delivery system well, but can also flutter a bit if need be.

I don't put much stock in the "multi-colored-holographic" lures that are offered up these days. It's not that they won't catch fish....they will, but in my experience they do not out perform the "basics".

Silver, Gold, White, Chartreuse, and Orange are all I ever play with. Because I am usually fishing clear lakes, I have most luck with silver. Still, finding the fish, presenting a lure properly, and fishing with confidence are the three most important factors when targeting any fish; it took me a long time (and alotta $$) to learn this lesson.

I am a lure junkie. I have a lovely lure museum started in my basement, and I'm gonna try not to add too many items to it in the near future. My swedish pimples go with me on the ice; they do not stay at home in the basement.

For a verticle ice presentation, a swedish-pimple tipped with a minnow head is my go-to 80% of the time.

Heck, they even work during the soft-water season.....really.

Have had great luck when using swedish pimples with two small minows on lip hooked. Jig it just enough to make the bobber bounce on the water then give it a 10" jig and let it set. Once in while it will pop down hard enough to make a plop sound!

Grew up on Swedish Pimples and perch eyes (not legal in MN) in North Dakota. Seemed like it never failed to produce the biggest and baddest perch in the lake.

The only thing that I would ever jig for walleyes with was perch eyes until they made perch a game fish in Minnesota. I really wish that they would change that law but I am sure there would be people that would abuse it so it will never happen.