• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Ice Auger Problems! HELP

Kyle

Hey everyone,

I have blades that are two years old, and have only been sharpened once;recently. So they are very sharp. When I first bought them, they worked great and I was through the ice in no time. Late last season they started to not work right. After having them sharpened, they work a little better, but I have to push down as hard as possible for them to cut anything, and they never really grab the ice. My blades are on properly so that isnt the issue, and the blades are sharp so I cant figure out what is going on. The point that digs in and centers the auger is very warn away,and I tried to sharpen it up last season, but I still dont think it is the way its supposed to be.It only protrudes about 1/2 inch. It does center the auger though, so IM not even sure if thats the issue. I Heard somewhere that if that point isnt digging in far enough or sharp enough then the blades wont do what they are supposed to either. I guess Im not sure because i was under the impression that the point was simply to center the auger and had nothing to do with the grabbing aspect of the blades. I havent tried to shim the blades yet, but I will today to see if that works. Im wondering what the reason for the blades not grabbing is? When they were sharpened, they were sharpened well with only minimal metal taken off so Im finding it hard to believe that I just need new blades. Its an old eskimo auger if that means anything. For the life of me, I cannot figure out what the problem is. Please help me out if you can.

i went through the same thing two years ago. Changed blades yada yada and it still wouldn't cut. It had always done a great job so I was confused. I took it down to Strikemaster and Cy pulled the blades and put a tool onto the bottom of the auger and found that my angle of attack was off apprx 1/2" so it just wasn't allowing the blades to bite. he said this can happen augering rough ice or re drilling existing holes. he said it doesn't take much to throw it off. He re aligned the bottom of the auger put the blades back on it it kicks a** again. Might be worth checking. Bill

im also having this problem with my jiffy 2hp 10in. i put a brand new ripper blade on and I also checked my power point and that seemed to be sharp. I have been having to use some force on my auger also to get it to cut at all until about the last 1-2ins of ice it grabs. So im guessing my pitch must be off on my flighting also?

does anyone know if the auger bits are interchangeable? I have a older 10" eskimo the auger has some wobble to it where it attaches to the shaft from head. Some of the fins are bent and I allways have to push on the auger while drilling even with a new blade . Another problem I have is sometimes while drilling the auger takes me for a ride while it is going thru the hole, possibly the clutch is not working?

I don't believe the are interchangeable at all.

For the other problems, what type of auger is it? I believe D-Rock in New Brighten services all types of augers and sell strikemasters. If it is a strikemaster though and you are close to Big Lake, I would take it right to them. Could be the alignment is off, the blades weren't sharpened right or the shaft. I would have it figured out.

It is a Eskimoe Ardisam auger from the 1980's I am thinking of upgrading this winter to a Strikemaster, they are located a couple miles from me. I called D-rock last friday and they are out of stock on the reconditioned augers but did say they were getting more in the end of January. I was sluffing off this offseason, I should have had the thing fixed this summer now I need to use it when I have my house pulled on to Mille Lacs. On my next purchase should I go with a 8" or 10" auger I do like the bigger hole for walley fishing?

so if it is the alignment of the bottom of the auger, where can I get this fixed. I have an eskimo so Im assuming I cant take it to strikemaster.

you might want to call the sportsmans warehouse in st cloud they might know as they carry Eskimo augers

slick2526

What 2hp engine do you have? The only 2hp Jiffy that will drill a 10" drill is the STX PRO (15:1 gear ratio) which came out last year.

If you have an 2hp unit with the 12:1 gear ration it does not have enough torque.

Also if the 1o" drill is older, the pitch of the drill assembly is to aggressive.

my mistake its a model 30 3hp. Sorry about that guys.

Ice pro, you said the the pitch of the drill assy is too aggressive. What do you mean by that? that the new 10in ice ripper blades will not work on my older auger?

Any thoughts minneman? Its the auger I bought from you a while back.