• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Power Minnows

Chode2235

Are you all fishing power minnows on jigging spoons or on jig heads or what?

I have some from the summer, and wondering how to go about using them under the ice?

I am assuming that these would be a good bait choice for crappies (in the 2" size).

I fish them on a 1/32 to 5/16 oz colorless jighead. The jighead pictured is a scenic tackle pro series panfish jighead and a 2" glow chartruese power minnow. Make sure to check know placement so the jig hangs horizontally.

100_0515.jpg

This had been a very hot bait for me on URL as well as other lakes where big slabs roam.

I think Borch means "collarless" instead of colorless. A collarless jig is a jig with just the leadhead on a straight shaft. It sets up the power minnow just perfectly. Like Borch says, check the knot if you get a fish, jig hard, miss a bite, etc. Once that knot slips it won't sit horizontally and you want your minnow to look natural. Natural minnows swim balanced horizontally.

Going to have to get me some more and some more glows...got a bunch of bites on them deadsticking last Friday. This was a new concept for me as I have struggled some catching fish on power minnows without a lot of jigging. For me it was good to build up the confidence in a still presentation.

Definitely collarless. Sometimes I type faster than I can think. wink

At times a very subtle jigging motion is the ticket. The deadstick approach actually brings then in at times when nothing else seems to work. Tooks me by surprise and it's worked on several occasions now.

Borch--the set-up in your picture has caught hundreds of crappie for me in open water. I have it on one of my rods at all times. Great for the kids as well...no rebaiting needed. I haven't tried it enough thru the ice in the past but this year I'm dedicating one of my ice-rods as plastics only. Nice pointer on the dead-stick option for this bait--I'll be trying it out over the long weekend for sure.

i agree with clavinist, i have used them on a lake that has alot of small sized crappies and the first time i used the power minnow on it i caught some of the biggest crappies i have ever seen come out of that lake.