• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Fl-18 vs. FL-20?

krawdad

Between the two I would go with the FL-20, the flat screen is nice and won't let snow drift up in it. Also the display is very crisp and colors nice and bright. From what I understand they are basically the same "guts" the main differnce is the display.

Now if you weren't only stuck on these two I would throw in a vote for the Marcum LX-3 or LX-5

I went in half’s with a Marcum lx5 with a cousin and gave up my half for the FL-20, im very impressed and don’t know what I would do without it

With the flat screen more than one person can watch it

My future wife and I fish 4 holes in the porty and we can watch all the lines at once.

This helps keep the peace so that neither of us gets an advantage

i hav the 18, my bro has the 20, they got basically the same stuff but the 12 and 6 foot auto-zoom on the 20 is nice for picking up suspended fish. the flatscreen on the 20 is nice also along with the fact that the screen is brightly LED lit. also the knobs are labeled differently on the 20 so rather than having to multiply in your head it just says how deep the setting will read to. a low battery light on the 20 unit is nice also. i would also suggests that you get one with a variable degree cone on the transducer because it is nice to be able to switch from 9 degrees to nineteen degrees and vise versa when your fishing in an area you want to c a lot or if your fishing a concentrated area.

i got the 18 and a couple years later my buddies liked my 18 so they went and got 20's.

for whatever reason my battery lasts longer then theirs and now a couple of their lights went out on thier battery indicator.

the only main difference is the 20 has 12 ft zoom to see the bottom 12ft and it has the 6ft zoom...18 only has the 6ft zoom but it has bottom lock and the 20 doesn't.

the flat screen on the 20 is cool but i have a magnifying lens cover on mine so it keeps things out and is easy for everyone to see.

the other difference is the 20 has night view...where the color display is less bright for when your inside...that would be my only reason for upgrading personally.

either one is a great choice imo...i always say if your already gonna spend that much money might as well toss in the few extra bucks and get the one with most options though...if i was buyin today i'd get the 20 but they weren't on the market yet when i bought my 18 lol....i've got about 4-5 solid years out of this unit with no issues.

couple buddies have some marcums, now u got the hummingbirds getting popular...they'll all do their purpose.

... the other difference is the 20 has night view...where the color display is less bright for when your inside...that would be my only reason for upgrading personally.

Hit the nail on the head Fishinguru IMO. I have both the FL18 & 20, and this is the #1 best reason to get the 20 over the 18. #2 Flat Screen.