• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Keeping holes open in Permanent

rod bender

For all you guys that have permanent houses, how do you keep the holes open from one weekend to the next? Do you just re drill them each weekend, or do you move it each weekend? Anything that we can put in or over the hole to keep it from freezing shut again?

You will just have to drill them out again. We stayed up north(Minn.) for a week, and had the heater on the whole time. The holes didn't freeze shut, but they weren't 10 inches by the time we left. They were like 6" at the most. They will freeze from the side no matter what you do. We thought it would help to bank the house with two feet of snow all around, and that still didn't help. Temps were never above 0'F either.

I end up re-drilling every weekend also. I guess I don't find it that much of a task to auger out once a week. I don't know if you have a slush inhaler or not, but they are well worth the money in my opinion. They save you quite a bit of time, especially when the ice is nearing three feet thick.

Man alive, those are some sumo perch in your avatar by the way!

MR. Walleye, I have 4 "shotgoun tubes " for sale, you have to start with a 10" hole then after fishing put the tubes in and when you come back next weekend you put a coleman lantern down hole and they come out, no slush at all. and on the end of tube I have a ring welded on to hold a minnow pail on and it keeps your minnows alive during the week. any questions get back to me. Darkhouse Mike

I dont recommend sticking anything in the hole over the week, what happens if something comes up and your not able to get out the next weekend, then you have trash stuck in the hole.

Just get an auger that you can redrill holes with, and or a chisel, youll be alright !

Shawn

I thought I saw something at the Ice fishing show in St.Paul a couple of years ago. Where someone made a Tube that you could shove down into your hole. I think you blew it up with air. and it was suppose to keep the hole from freezing in.

Anyone recall seeing that?