• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Pronghorn in Minnesota???

mrklean

So i was looking at good old Wikipedia today reading up on pronghorns and it said the range was " The range extends from southern Saskatchewan and Alberta in Canada south through the United States (southwestern Minnesota and central Texas west to northeastern California). Has anyone ever seen a pronghorn in MN??? I knew they were in the Dakotas but didnt think they every came to MN.

From the DNR HSOforum

Quote:
The pronghorn was never common in Minnesota. When settlement began, a few bands of pronghorns lived in our western counties. In recent years, some stragglers have been seen in the southwest. Presumably they are animals that have wandered in from neighboring South Dakota.

We saw a couple of goats in SoDak about 30 miles west of Brown's Valley a few years back.

Also had a muley buck right next to the truck in Traverse County. It was night, intense flooding was taking place, and every deer in the county seemed to be standing on the road I was on.

the furthest east I've ever seen goats was just east of the Mo river, up on top and was really surprised to see that. I'm guessin that this winter is gonna take it's toll on them. This year they issued triple tags for them and allowed a person to kill em during the west river deer season but all tags reverted to does AND now we are allowed to kill em in Jan during the doe (deer)season in west river if a guy hasn't filled the tags yet.

We had a moose down here last fall, was seen around a lot of the south western towns, including the areas of Ivanhoe,hendricks, Canby, and Dawson. I think some one got a picture of it in one of the towns. Plenty of people could have shot it during Deer hunting season.

Guy I work with lives in Richmond, MN and shot a huge Red deer last year in the begining of bow season. He has been stationed in Mississippi and never traveled north of there until being stationed in MN. Point is, he had no idea that he shot something that wasn't a whitetail. To top it off, he was driving around St Cloud with the thing out in the open. People everywhere where chewing him out for "poaching." A quick check on the DNR site and it confirmed what koonie stated, that it was perfectly legal. In fact, you're encouraged to take any non-native species of deer. It was still good to scare the Bejesus out of him after parading it around town like a tool.

dang wikipedia never can count on it

ya you really cant....anyone can make an account on there and you can add or change info on anything.....for instance the Twins won the World Series in 1987 and 1991 you could change it to they won it in 1987 and 1992....so kind of a dumb HSOforum if ya ask me

I saw quite a few pronghorns around but I think the cougars killed them all.

I shot a deer with an ear tag 15 years ago. Didn't see the ear tag until after I shot it. Escaped from a nearby farm. Tasted really good. It did try to bite me when I went up to finish it off.