• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

carbon monoxide in the flip over shanty

Lund1700Angler

ALWAYS keep a door partly open or a vent open. I would use a buddy heater but I have never had one that worked right. Thats out of 2 little buddies and 2 big buddies. Supposedly they are better now. I use the old main stay Mr. Heater cooker or the tank mount. I know it will work and it will produce more heat. Like I said I keep a vent or door open at all times and get out of the house every 1/2 hour or so. Or stick my head out the door.

Im waiting for BIG Buddy heater that will give me the heat of a Sunflower type heater and light and stay lit in a bit of wind. They are a great concept when they work right.

ALWAYS keep a door partly open or a vent open. I would use a buddy heater but I have never had one that worked right. Thats out of 2 little buddies and 2 big buddies. Supposedly they are better now. I use the old main stay Mr. Heater cooker or the tank mount. I know it will work and it will produce more heat. Like I said I keep a vent or door open at all times and get out of the house every 1/2 hour or so. Or stick my head out the door.

Im waiting for BIG Buddy heater that will give me the heat of a Sunflower type heater and light and stay lit in a bit of wind. They are a great concept when they work right.

fyi a big buddy is 18k btu and the sunflower /mrcooker is 14kbtu

Yes I know that. If I could get one to light, stay lit and provide heat on demand I would buy one. (again X 5)I havent found that and at 3 times the cost I will pass.

I will see if they truely have these issues taken care of this year. Im not big on buying special hoses and filters to get something to work.

Hey Lund, don't rely on the low O2 shutoff on your heater. You can still have plenty of O2 and enough CO to make you ill or kill you. I posted my experience above about getting CO poisoning from my propane lantern. What I did not mention was that I have a Mr Buddy heater with low O2 shutoff. It kept on working just fine, never shutoff even though I was out on the ice puking from CO poisoning.

I have one of those soft lunchpacks that I use for my iPod speakers and I also throw a CO2 detector in it. Doesnt take up much room at all. There was 1 time when I had my portable pretty dug in on a cold day and it actually went off.

Better safe than sorry.

Not that everyone hasn't said it already, but the Buddy Heater is waaay better than a sunflower heater in a confined space. This is something I knew already, but was reminded again this year. We used one in a large 8 man tent in the cold deer hunting this year and I thought we were plenty ventelated, but still woke up with a splitting head ache. What was I thinking. Should have learned my lesson from the numerous times of playing it cheap and using a sunflower in a fish house and coming a pubic hair from death every time.

Carbon Monoxide Poisoning Symptoms

Anywhere here you can substitute the word "Home" for "Ice House". If you have experienced or continue to experience these symptoms in your ice house, rethink your ventilation and also consider a detector.

Because carbon monoxide is odorless and colorless it is not always evident when it has become a problem is the home. Often people who have a mild to moderate problem will find they feel sick while they spend time at home. They might feel a little better outside in the fresh air but will have re-occurring symptoms shortly after returning home. If other members of the family have re-occurring bouts with flu-like symptoms while fuel-burning appliances are being used it may be time to have the house checked by a professional.

Carbon Monoxide Poisoning Emergency Carbon Monoxide Detectors

Besides having a professional come into your home to check your appliances a carbon monoxide detector can be used to keep a constant watch over the levels of carbon monoxide in the home throughout the year.

Symptoms of Carbon Monoxide Poisoning

Low levels of carbon monoxide poisoning can be confused with flu symptoms, food poisoning or other illnesses and can have a long term health risk if left unattended. Some of the symptoms are the following.

* Shortness of breath

* Mild nausea

* Mild headaches

Moderate levels of CO exposure can cause death if the following symptoms persist for a long measure of time.

* Headaches

* Dizziness

* Nausea

* Light-headedness

High levels of CO can be fatal causing death within minutes.

Treatment Options

There are immediate measures you can take to help those suffering from carbon monoxide poisoning.

* Get the victim into fresh air immediately.

* If you can not get the people out of the house, then open all windows and doors. Any combustion appliances should be turned off.

* Take those who were subjected to carbon monoxide to a hospital emergency room as quickly as possible. A simple blood test will be able to determine if carbon monoxide poisoning has occurred.

Part #2

The Silent Killer: Selecting an Effective Carbon Monoxide Detector that can Save Lives

Next to a smoke alarm, a carbon monoxide detector may be the most important item you could have in your home. Without the aid of a detector, it would be virtually impossible to know if carbon monoxide at dangerous levels was present in your home. Unfortunately, carbon monoxide (CO) cannot be seen or smelled, and because it can have deadly effects within minutes, it is necessary to have a functioning detector in your home. There are three different types of carbon monoxide detectors, each with their own unique features. Before purchasing a detector, know the differences between each model and be clear about how many detectors you want to have in your home.

Biometric CO Detector

The biometric CO detector has an internal gel cell that is made of synthetic hemoglobin that works to absorb the CO. It is crucial that the battery and sensory module be replaced every two to three years, but the detector itself should last approximately 10 years. If the detector is activated, the sensor should clear itself generally within 2 to 48 hours. To clear the sensor, you must let it sit in fresh air otherwise the sensor will immediately sound off again when put back in the detector. If you find that your sensor does not clear, you must replace the part.

Semiconductor CO Detector

A semiconductor detector is a plug-in unit that is equipped with an electronic sensor. This model is a good choice for people who are looking for a device that requires minimal maintenance. Typically, this model lasts from 5 to 10 years.

Electrochemical CO Detector

An electrochemical detector works by responding differently to the varying levels of CO exposure. This device has a self-powered battery that does not need to be replaced and the detector usually lasts for at least 5 years.

Don’t Forget to also look for…

Which ever CO detector you buy, don’t forget to also look for these features:

* The peak CO memory feature will typically appear on higher-end models and is a display that remembers the highest levels of CO over a certain time period. This feature is useful for emergency personnel when trying to determine the severity of the CO problem.

* If someone in your family is hard of hearing, buy a carbon monoxide detector that has special light features. During an alarm, not only will the alarm go off but a light will also flash. Look for an alarm that has an easy-to-read light-emitting diode (LED).

* Look for a model that has a power supply backup feature. Typically, your CO detector will stop working when there is a power outage; however, with a power supply backup feature, this will not occur.

* Make sure that you are buying the newest device available. To do this, open the package and find the date of manufacture that is stamped on the back.

* Know the different sounds that your detector makes. A loud and continuous alarm sound should alert you to an emergency, while a repetitive beep every minute tells you that something is wrong with your detector.

* You should have a minimum of one smoke detector and one CO detector in your home. There is no harm in having more than one detector of either kind, but you should have at least one of each.

Sorry.. it is long winded but very good info non the less. If 1 guy gets saved from CO poisoning because he read this, yell at me all ya want for being Mr.Know it all Long post Hijacker Guy. wink

The zip on the door of my Otter is a little messed up, and won't zip closed for a couple inches in the corner. So I keep the corner folded down. Between this and the velcro side vents (and being kind of lazy about banking the bottom) I get pretty good air flow through the shelter.

Carpmanjake

Dude Have oyu seriously caught all those big fish? if so where do you fish. I saw your most recent pics!!! Nice work!!!! Iam assuming you are from some where up north eh. I grew up in todd county just curious if you are from that area. keep up the good work of making me jealous!!

i am in the alexandria area of douglas county. lol.and yes i have haha, i fish basiclly anywhere i can get to

should be out getting some more fish this weekend. im just waiting for some of the slush to freeze a little more

ive had CO poisioning years ago from welding in a shop with a portable welder. I never new it was happening till it was to late. now it doesnt take much and i can feel it. I do use a sunflower heater in my portable but keep the door zipper open most of the time. BE CAREFUL its not a fun thing to go thru but im glad im here to talk about it

I dont think buddy heaters detect CO, they detect low oxygen, rather, they shut down in environments of low oxygen. As the second offender of a heater or stove burning is consumption of the oxygen, the first problem being the big dump of CO in the space.

The sunflower heaters are the biggest offender, tons of BTU's, no protection- no low oxy shutdown.

CO "poisoning" is awful- imagine feeling like your were 16, and had been out all night mixing beer, wine and Everclear, and maybe you burnt some rope too.... then someone spun you around for 20 minutes in a chair... that's what CO poisoning feels like-- they can detect it in your blood. A friend of mine ended up spending a day in the ER of a hosp. up north. He had been staying in a cabin, someone thought using a sunflower heater during the night to "just take the chill out" would be a good idea. They left it on all night, sickker than 10 daugs come morning.

Not a good idea!

Hey, great forum!

I dont think buddy heaters detect CO, they detect low oxygen, rather, they shut down in environments of low oxygen. As the second offender of a heater or stove burning is consumption of the oxygen, the first problem being the big dump of CO in the space.

The sunflower heaters are the biggest offender, tons of BTU's, no protection- no low oxy shutdown.

CO "poisoning" is awful- imagine feeling like your were 16, and had been out all night mixing beer, wine and Everclear, and maybe you burnt some rope too.... then someone spun you around for 20 minutes in a chair... that's what CO poisoning feels like-- they can detect it in your blood. A friend of mine ended up spending a day in the ER of a hosp. up north. He had been staying in a cabin, someone thought using a sunflower heater during the night to "just take the chill out" would be a good idea. They left it on all night, sickker than 10 daugs come morning.

Not a good idea!

Hey, great forum!

im 17 and i have already suffered from CO poising. i cant really relate to the "mixing beer and wine and everclear" thing. but the spinning around for 20 minutes i can.

and if you are fishing in a small portable the CO will deplete the oxgen enough before it gets to be to much. so the heater will shut off and you know to get out.

i seen someone mention the lighter trick. thats what i do. it works all the time. i have actually saved my mom from CO poising by doing that. we didnt open the vents in her clam (box type) house and she was starting to get a small head ache. so i tried the lighter trick and it didnt light so i opened up the doors and vents. we were cold for a while but its better than CO poisining

Like I said earlier, FYI:

The Buddy Heaters do NOT "detect Carbon monoxide" stop saying that!

They have a "low oxygen shut-off", meaning AFTER they have nearly poisoned you with carbon monoxide, just before all the air is consumed from your shack, YES - the Buddy Heater will shut off, to keep your corpse cool for the emergency team to find you later.

Here is text taken from the Buddy heater folks-- NOTE, they are not considered or rated safe or approved in Canada for indoor use!

I just dont want my fishing chums to croak from being MISINFORMED- be careful, do not assume these heaters will somehow save your bacon. They are about the safest heater out there, better than a sunflower for safety, but they can still kill you. Unvented or "ventfree" is still risky.

Please note: The Portable Buddy is Certified for Outdoor Use Only In Canada

• Designed and approved for indoor use

• Automatic low-oxygen shut off system

• Uses 1 lb. or 20 lb. propane cylinder with optional hose connection

(Mr. Heater Stock #F273701/02)

• Free standing or wall mount

• Quiet, odor-free, lightweight, portable

• Easy to carry

• 4,000 & 9,000 BTU high and low setting

• Heats up to 200 square feet

Now, take a look at this story. It's about a boy staying in a Minnesota cabin. I will tell you the cabin was an A frame with 14 foot ceiling. It was cold the night he died- the furnace was vented, and he knew enough to crack a window open an inch or two for some air. He still died from a faulty propane heater. And from a faulty CO detector. Not his fault, now he's gone.

http://www.leadertelegram.com/printstory2.asp?id=BEJSK9G77A1

I have a suitcase style shappell shack. I was fishing on monday night with a friend in Chisago. We had the buddy heater on low, within a couple hours, we both were feeling tired and had headaches. I knew what it was and opened the doors to bring in new air. Like Dead C Force said, it detects low oxygen, not carbon monoxide. Yes they are safer than sunflowers, but dont assume low oxygen shutoff means CO shutoff. Stay safe, and good fishing.