• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

50+ Roosters today!

SpringerGuy

Me and 3 of my dogs went out this afternoon. Thought there might be some action before the storm(s) hit us. It was a hard walk through the tall grass, every step was in 6 to 12 inches of snow. That's tough on us old fat guys. It was a wonderful day to be out.

Saw 50+ birds and 4 deer in all. Of course the 4 or 5 shootable birds were hens. The girls loved the exercise and it's always a good day when you can watch your dogs having fun. We'll see what this weekend brings us for weather.

same thing here springerguy. tons of birds but they are sure jumpy. we managed to get 2,and should have had 3 if i could shoot a little better. hope they make it through this storm ok. id still like to get my springer down to visit one of your boys next time shes in heat.

You can never kill enough roosters.

Ever seen a flock forage in winter, as soon as a hen finds something a rooster runs her off. The roosters eat first & the hens get the scraps.

Best ratio supposedly 11 hens to the rooster. I'm stuck at 5:1 smart buggers

I know this is just from another study so put as much merit into it as you want but around 90% of the roosters are "harvestable surplus".

Back to the subject...yeah, I've been running into a lot of birds as well. It's been great and Tom, "Vee" (that we got from you in the summer of 07') is really progressing nicely this year!!

Bailey (puppy #9 out of Laci's 3rd litter). She's really coming into her own. I'm spoiled with her "brother" king (in the photo on your HSOforum as he was with us when we picked her up) as he is exceptional (I know everyone says that abot their dog) but even when I get her out on her own (keep building on her confidence) she does real well.

Plus she is "momma's little girl" and gets spoiled at home.