• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Do you guys spear all sizes of pike?

DHanson

I don't spear at all, but I was just curious if you guys spear all sizes of pike or if you are looking for the perfect size to get for the frying pan? I would imagine the smaller 2-3 lbers would be the best for a meal and let the bigger ones go? I'm seeing a few nice 35" plus fish being speared. Is this a sport where you spear any size or does it vary from person to person what size you spear? Thanks

I typically spear 2-5 lbers and will take a bigger ones for the smoker or eating on occastion. I have speared a twenty pounder a few yrs ago and it is on my wall since then I have let a bunch of fish 10 to 15 pounds swim by and when I tip up fish I generally catch and release all the pike I catch. my next couple of trips out will be mostly arm with the camera for some photos of pike comming into the decoys.

I let the big ones go.

Generally speaking I spear anything less than 8 lbs.

Once they get larger than that I feel they have earned the right to stay in the lake and make some more big ones.

Some other guidelines that I follow.

I will not spear or keep any fish that I can’t clean and cook the same day.

I only fish in the winter.

Generally I only spear.

I have speared one fish this year.

It was 33” (7 lbs)

I waited all summer for that, and it was tasty!!!