• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Tip Up's for Northerns or Walleye?

WhiteKnuckleGrip

I like to use a lively minnow with a jig for walleyes and a sucker or large shiner on a quick strike rig for northerns. I would look for more walleye info HERE and if you want some info on northerns look HERE . Make sure to get some good lube and do a tune-up on your tipups before you put on new line.

most tippups come with a "T" that has 2 different sides you can put the flag on. each side requires a different amount of force to trip it. the longer one require more force to trip so you definatly DO NOT want to use that for walleye. use the shorter side since it requires less force.

for walleye tie on a 3 foot mono or flouro carbon leader to your tip up line. (blood knot, albright knot, and the double surgeons knot are all good knots to use) and tie on a custom jigs and spins demon, northland eyedropper spoon, or eyedropper jig.(northland jiggle bugs, forage minnow jig, and fire eye grub are also good choices) and tip that with a lively fathead or 2-4" shiner.

for pike just tie on a wire leader and add a size 2 to 2/0 plain hook. and tip it with a lively shiner. using a live spearing decoy minnow is a good choice for big pike like this

198.jpg

if u want to be able to set the hook on a pike right away then use a quick strike rig.

it is also a good idea to add a small colorado blade in chartruse or orange for a splash of color which makes the bait easier to find in murky water and makes the shiner more "attractive" in the pikes.

be sure to have tip ups set at varied depths

deep weedlines (20-40 feet) are good places to tip up fish for walleye

the edge of weeded flats and wooded/ weedy back waters between 6-16 feet are good for pike. in mid winter set up one in open water halfway up the water column since pike will start to suspend over deeper water.

areas around bullrushes are great for early season pike as well

Hey, Carpmanjake thank you for the information and nice pic of northern. You've got me thinking I'm looking forword to running to my tip up with the flag waving in the air and It's going to be great to land a northern. I'll let you know what success I have on the ice.

Thank You

WhiteKnuckleGrip

Hey, Carpmanjake thank you for the information and nice pic of northern. You've got me thinking I'm looking forword to running to my tip up with the flag waving in the air and It's going to be great to land a northern. I'll let you know what success I have on the ice.

Thank You

WhiteKnuckleGrip

my pleasure

For pike I use a quickstrike rig. You can buy a premade one at just about any bait store.

It's essentially just a wire deal that has two treble hooks comming off of it. I tie that directly to my coated tipup line.

Hooking the biggest sucker you can find right infront of the top dorsal fin and the other in the back in the tail. He'll stay alive for a LONG time and the pike just love it.

The ones I prefer come in a tube... they both have a small red ball on it with a little fin.

I found some steel leader matereal at Fleet Flarm that you can tie regular knots with...You can do palomar..( my go to knot )..Very supple..The stuff I used was rated at 10lb. test..Havn't had a chance to use them yet as my recoil on my Lazer took a [PoorWordUsage] the day I was going to try them...It's a bit spendy, but beats working with regular wire, and I bet it's very kink resistant..

I have never used anything other than a plain hook on a tip-up for walleye, for those of you using jigs, what size and how are you hooking your fat-head minnows?

jigs work way better than plain hooks when tip up fishing for eyes. they weight of the jig causes the minnow to struggle more. i dont use plain hooks for eyes until they get really finicky and wont bite anything un natural.

JB lures Gem-N-Eyes work amazing for tip up fishing for walleye. they are my go to for walleye of any size range. but i usually get walleyes over 5 lbs because i fish with larger size fatheads most of the time. i normally hook they through the back. but when the fish are looking for something different i will hook it through the tail for more of a struggle.

also if the fish are getting picky i will hook a crappie minnow through the nose then a fathead through the back. then another crappie minnow through the nose. the crappie minnows will make the bait more attractive. and the bait looks larger so ur average 'eye size should become larger.

heres the JB lures Gem-N-eye

http://www.jblures.com/products/product_...e054351f16db270

What size are you running 1/8, 1/4 oz?

they actually dont come in 1/4oz (i dont think) only 1/8, 1/16, and 1/32

it depends on the depth. if i am fishing 10' of water and under i use a 1/32 oz.

if i am fishing over 10' i use a 1/16 oz

and over 20 feet i use a 1/8