• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Re: Grantsburg- Minong-Siren-Spooner-Webster Fishing Reports

Wood Lake is a real good lake to start at just south of Hwy 70 lots of panfish, bass, northerns. As far as hunting there is alot of pulic land up there just need to get out and walk around.Good luck.

• Replies 283
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi all, I'm hoping you will be able to help me.

My parents are in the process of buying a cabin just north of Grantsburg, WI. They will be closing some time in mid December. My father loves to ice fish, what are the lakes in that area that are good for panfish.. Both crappie and bluegills? Any help would be greatly appreciated... Thanks in advance.

I have also heard that there is good hunting in this area. I am thinking for next year. I have heard there are grouse, both ruffed and sharptail, good water fowl, deer and others... Please expand on this if you have time. Thanks again!

i'm sitting at work in grantsburg right now! where abouts are they buying? must be west marshland or union townships? good fishing - pick any lake. they're all good. hunting - there's tons of public land around - get a hold of a plat book. the crex an incredible duck hunting paradise. tons of geese (sorry, can't hunt geese in the crex), and tons of trumpeters, sandhill cranes, and even some wolves. its some pretty remote country - you'll find good hunting if you don't mind walking back a ways. there's also tons of county forest land, state forest, and the national park land along the st. croix river. best area baitshop is goob's in falun, just east of grantsburg. let me know if you have more questions

Dan-

Thanks for the tips... The land is north of Grantsburg on Bloom Road, if you know where that is.

I am really excited, I only live probably a 45 min drive from there and plan to take advantage of this as much as possible.

How is the grouse population? Are there many trails for walking and small game in the area, rabbits would be fun too? Or is it mostly waterfoul and big game like deer?

Thanks again!

not much for trails. its pretty wild country. some logging roads and fire breaks. i live about 40 miles northeast of granstburg, and between here and there, i've seen a lot of pheasants this year, and quite a few grouse too. the duck, bear and deer hunting is really big locally. along the st. croix river - the hmung from the cities hit that pretty hard for squirrels and birds. (we get called out quite often to help the dnr with forest fires they start - they smoke squirrels out of hollow trees, and then leave the tree burning.) yeah, i know where bloom road is. that area is getting chopped up more and more with 5 and 10 acre hunting shacks and trailers. thats flat country, with sandy soil and mixed oaks and red/jack pine. you'll be amazed at the number of sand flies this summer! i'm not kidding - you've never seen anything like it. better build a screen porch.

Dan-the screen porch is already on the things to get...

Thanks so much for the advise and the knowledge, I really appreciate it. I'm hopeing over the next few years to get to know the area better. And hopefully take adavntage of the land and what it has to offer. I'm looking forward to doing more fishing in the area too.. I always buy a full season licence for WI, and have fished quite a few bass tounaments up there.. a few on Wood and half moon and of corse Balsam...

Thanks again!

Exudedude

How far north of Grantsburg you talking?

We have a place on Bloom road northeast of Danbury.

A different Bloom rd?

[This message has been edited by Slugo (edited 11-02-2003).]

want good pan fish try clam lake in siren. My parents have a cabin there. There are good crappie, fair perch, sunfish, and bluegills, and pike, and very few walleye. Be careful by the under pass to big clam lake water usually dose not freeze ther all winter. The lake is fairly shallow about 14 max, but very weedy so holds excellent populations of panfish. Also throw out some flags pike fishing is really good and fast just not huge fish sometimes a ten pound mixed in . Have fun and be safe.

Hey Dan in Webster.....coming up next week to ice fish....when is the fishing tourney on Clam Flowage....last year my first trip I hit it during the tourney. Didnt help the fishing any. I am not against tournaments...gotta have fund raisers, but if I travel 110 miles one way I hope to hit the weekend they DON'T have a tourney.

I'll be staying in a cabin just east of Minong on President's Day weekend in February. I called Sportsman's HQ, and they mentioned Gilmore and Pokegama for panfish around that time. I would appreciate info on any other fishing lakes in the area.

you won't be too far from hayward and teal/lost land. i've heard the minong flowage can be decent. maybe some winter stream fishing (bass, etc. south of hayward, trout north of hayward - closed now) in the namekagon. sorry i couldn't help more - we're just the other side of trego.

------------------
Dan in Webster
Campion Log Works

I just got back from a weekend up in Minong. The Minong flowage can be tough to fish. I have had very little luck there with the pan fish in the winter. Although in the summer I have caught some monster sized bluegills. Last weekend I caught a bunch of Walleye on the north side of what they call the saw dust pile (one was 23") using tip-ups and small suckers.

Another lake I like to try is Big Bass lake. I have good luck there with the Northerns and the pan fish, last week I even caught some very nice sized Bass. Big Bass is right by Pokegema. There is a large weedy bar on the west side of the lake that always seems to have fish around it.

Horseshoe lake, across the street from Big Bass, has lots of northerns and lots of crappies, but my luck there has been hit or miss on the crappie. When I find them they run a nice size. I have mostly fished in the deep hole on the north end of the main lake side. If you go looking for it, it is almost all the way to the north shore (you will swear your going to reach the other shore before you get to it).

Of course, many people go to the St.Croix flowage for pan fish. I've not been there yet but i heard they run a nice size.

Good luck, lots of lakes in the area to try. Let us know how you did.

crownironman I have a cabin on the minong flowage and never heard of the sawdust pile.Where exactly are you talking about?We do real good in the spring and fall for eyes but spend most of my summer targeting muskie.Biggest one was 44inches last year.Most walleye are smaller but some nice ones are in there.Winter can be real hard on the flowage.There are some areas that can do good but you need to be able to get there and the ice has been tricky some years.There are plenty of northerns all around the lake but if you are looking for panfish or crappie I would look at some other lakes.

I would like to catch some crappies and never tryed other lakes in the area.Was thinking nancy or bardon ? anyone ever fish these lakes.

The saw dust pile is in the bay that the DNR boat launch is at. It is on the east side of the lake. It is right across from the sandy island that everyone parks at in the summer and leaves their S*!@ at that I end up pick up. Sorry I had to vent there. I am going up there this weekend with my son to try for some more. I sure we will not be alone, two weeks ago the whole town was out there. I'm not too worried though, that lake has a ton of smaller walleye in it, a little thinning out might do it some good. Ice should be good enough to drive out on now around the saw dust pile, I think it is one of the first areas to freeze up because the ice is a little thicker there than most of the other places I tried.

I know what you mean about pan fishing on the flowage in the winter. I can buy a pan fish out of there in the winter. I have great luck with them in the summer, bluegills. I have bad luck with the crappies in there, summer and winter. I have never caught a northern larger than 24" out of the flowage.

I heard that they might be drawing the flowage down to kill the milfoil. I wonder what that will do to the fishing. I remember the last time they drew the lake down to fix the ****, before they drew it down we had do weeds by are dock, now there is tons. But the fishing by our dock is much better now.

I have tried Nancy lake and I didn't have very good luck. But it was crowded there when I went and I didn't stay long. I left and went over to Horseshoe and I caught a few crappies, a couple over 12"

I have never tried Bardon, but I have tried Bond. Lots of Bass in the summer and some nice sized gills. The only time I went there in the winter it was -20 and all I got was one little walleye.

[This message has been edited by crownironman (edited 01-13-2004).]

Thanks for the reply Ironman.We are on the NE bay where the river comes in and I never fish the main lake in the winter.Usually just put out flags.We hardly ever catch northern over 20 in.They can be a real pain in the a** when you are out fishn eyes.There are some monsters in there but they are hard to catch.We have been seeing more and more of them 16-18 in northerns with 6-7 in jaw marks across there backs.I was thinking of trying some night fishing for skis and maybe one of them big northers will hit.Good luck this weekend I may stop over on the main lake but might change my mind if crappies are hitting on another lake.

Not from the area but I will be up there on Thursday fishing Mud Hen and wondering what other lake to try out on Friday? Does Yellow Lake produce Walleye's in the morning? I saw from the other post people are catching them at night. Also what are the regulations on tip ups in Wisconsin? Can I sue a treble hook on it? Do I have to have a spinner or a bead above it as well like in MN? Any help would be great. Thanks

[This message has been edited by Iceman12 (edited 01-20-2004).]

I live in Siren, and would recommend giving Devils a try. A buddy and I have spent all-nighters out on Devils catching 'eyes, bass, and crappies. On the other hand, we have gone on the all night adventures only to find at daybreak the walleyes are very, very hungry and will go on a feeding frenzy for an hour. Most of the morning walleyes were caught on Rapala jigs and pimples dangling a small sucker. Size varied from 14-26 inches. If you do go out on Yellow I suggest to fish off Jefferies landing on the breaks or veer to the right off the landing and find weeds, fish the outer edges with shiners. If you don't have any success in 2-3 hours go to the west end of the lake by Yellow Lake Lodge and fish 75-125 yards in front of the open water with shiners and colored Gamagatzu hooks. Good luck!