• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

which portable?

ZEEK1223

otter. The family just purchased a lodge. Man what a great unit.

Just Me

Bingo! The Frabill TK Deluxe is a sweet unit!

So is the Commando if your teetering between 1 man deluxe shack or a 2 man. The Commando is the same price at the original TK but less than the TK Deluxe version.

I have a clam guide. I like it. It's easy to pull with one man . It is a little small for 2 guys and 4 holes, but you can manage. The only thing i dislike is how the seat brackets run the whole width of the sled. It makes it hard to get rod cases to the bottom of the sled. You have to jimmy them in there, and I just know one day i'll probably break a rod.This years model has a bench seat so I dont know if the mounting brackets are any different. Other than that a great house. Just my 2 cents

I looked at the Guide, Trekker, & Trekker DLX. The Guide & Trekker DLX are roughly the same price but the Trekker has more room, windows on all 4 sides, premium seats. All-all, IMO the DLX had more to offer so I purchased the Trekker DLX. I wasn't loyal to any brand so I had an open mind when chosing and I couldn't be happier.

Here's my two cents...I've got a Frabill 2-man that I got about 6-7 years ago (not sure what model it is).

The pros are that it's black and absorbs sunlight nicely; there's plenty of room in the sled for my auger, 20 lber with a sunflower heater, a few buckets, shovel, and plenty of food and beverages; there's holes in the front of the bench seat for a dead stick, and to put your rod when you need to go outside, or grab something out of the back.

The cons of this house is that it's black, and you've gotta get some lighting going earlier than normal; the bench seat has a low backrest (hits you about 2-3 inches above the belt line when you lean back to stretch); and there's not alot of "skirt" around the bottom of it to bank with snow when you find a good spot to fish for a while.

Otter Med Cabin - I just picked up my brothers and modified it a bit. It's sweet, but has the round poles, no side windows, and shorter skirt. The new models have all of that. I had a new Otter Cottage, but wanted to bring along a friend, so I got the Cabin. It's not much more weight and way more room. I'm 5'11" and I can stand in it. My head hits a bit, but I can still stretch out.

My .02 - I did like the fishtrap I had though, and my brother rolls a Frabill. There's a lot of good products, but I like the Otter the best.

ive had my yukon for 3 seasons now and have not had one problem with it...really roomy with 2 and i think the best part about it is the trap link i have 1 buddy that has a 5600 and another with a yukon also and we hook all 3 up togther....also if you arent to large u can also fish 3 in the house with no problem

I've also got an X2, that my wife got for me for Christmas last year.

The pros of that house is that there's more room in front for holes, heater, minnows, etc; the seats are padded with a nice high backrest, the material is nice and thick and seems to hold heat pretty well; there's plenty of "skirt" for keeping the wind out, as well as a skirt that fastens together behind your feet when the house is set up (a real good wind keeper outer); and it comes with supports that fit between the poles to keep them a certain distance apart (comes in real handy on windy days).

The cons are that there's not alot of room in the sled, mainly because of the support system for the seats. I can get my auger in there, and a bucket or my heater. Under the seats, there's plenty of space for my rod bag, scoop, and a smaller shovel; but there's no way a 5-gallon bucket will fit under there also.

Basically, my Frabill is an excellent early ice portable because everything I need fits nicely into the sled for walking out or using the 4-wheeler. And the X2 is great after I can drive my pickup out.

just bought the frabill trk dlx. pulled it out on stony point leech lake. little tight for two. 30 mph wind 14 below 0. easy to pull easy to set up, 1800 btu buddy heater, comfortable, frosted on the inside, Frabill should have made a peg for the rear pole to hold it in place. Back to Prior lake and Minnetonka this week.

For 2 average sized people a Otter Cabin would work but if its 2 bigger guys or maybe 1 adult and a couple kids I would go with the Otter Lodge. Very roomy, best tubs on the market, 900 denier canvas keeps heat in and doesnt let the wind in, the new nylon pole inserts make taking up and down a breeze ( no more sticky poles) and the new windows stay plyable in the coldest weather.

I highly recomend putting hyfax runners on any house you buy.

Lots of nice houses on the market these days. Buy what fits your vehicle and will give you the most of what you think you need in a house.

Ended up having to bring a house back after putting it together as I couldn't shut the tailgate on my Avalanche. Ended up with the FT Guide 3-4 years ago and it fits well in the truck bed and is a nice house. I fish two out of it alot but now that my son is a growing 16 yr old versus a couple of years ago I'm thinking it is going to be a bit more crowded. I can fit everything in the house and pull it myself when alone although I will admit it pulls much easier for me when the son "earns his keep"! Usually 5-6 rods spread between the pouches under the seats (did break an ultralite once so I keep these to as few as possible), auger across the seat brackets fits perfect and doesn't roll around, flasher or two, tackle and baits and I still have my hands free.

Love the otters and the sled especially but like to leave the house and auger in the back of the truck and since the tailgate wouldn't shut with the Otter and other 2-man sleds that was impossible. The Guide is a good house for the money, great one man house and a serviceable two man house.