• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

new member :) recent ice fishing (pics)

carpmanjake

hi im jake im new to the forum. im 16 and already an avid fisherman. i just wanted to introduce myself and post my most recent ice fishing expeditions

tuesday december 9:

fished with my moms friends and my mom for walleye. caught 2. nothing special just 12 and 14 inches.

Wednesday december 10th

went fishing with my mom in her colapsible (no school that day) i caught 2 keeper perch and a small bluegill right away. then it slowed down and right at 4 i got a hit and i set the hook

"its a good fish mom" i said

after a few seconds the fish rolled across the hole IT WAS A BIG WALLEYE ( 4-6 lbs easy"

i told my mom to hold my rod and shoved my hand down into the water to grab it. as i grabbed it my 4lb line snapped. i had a hold of it and tried to keep a hold of it and get it up the hole. the walleye flared its gills and started trashing. its gillplates began cutting into my hand. and the cold water was begining to takes its tole as my hands went numb. eventually the walleye wriggled free from my grasp.

later that night we got 3 crappies. i got a 10 and a 12. mom got a 10

no pics due to that i got my phone taken away in school the previous day. (oops)

friday december 12

froze my nuts off... caught a cold

saturday december 13

went fishing with my grandpa.

got up at 6 and got ready. grandpa picked me up at 7

we got to the lake and walked the grueling 2 mile walk to his spear house. once we got there i set up a panfish rod in case any panfish came in. i eventually got a nice sunfish.

then i left and started drilling a hole in the reeds to sightfish for panfish. then the spearhouse door flung open. i thought my grandpa was gonna come out and strech or something. but instead out flew a spear tipped with a big pike. measured 36" and weighed 10 lbs 2 onces.

afterward we left to eat. we walked the grueling 2 miles back to the car. and went to eat. then we went back out.

right away i caught a bass. further proof bass do bite when the water is hard laugh

194.jpg

afterward i landed the first slab of the day. 12" long

192.jpg

afterward i caught another slab. 12 1/2" long

193.jpg

after about an hour of nothing i heard the bite alarm of my pike rod i had set up outside along the reeds. i had a10inch LIVE sucker minnow on it rigged on a quickstrike rig. so i knew this fish was gonna be big. after a hard, long, fight. i landed a giant pike. measuring 38"inches long and weighing 15 lbs. i released her since we already had a big pike. the blood from the gills is because the secong hook caught a gill raker and pulled on it a bit. i checked the gills and there was no damage that would result in death.

201.jpg

no pike seen after ward. but i landed a great limit of slab crappies and 8 nices sunnies. crappie lengths were 12", 12 1/4", 12", 12 1/2", 11 3/4", 10", 10 5/8", 10 1/2", 10 5/8", 10 3/8". and grandpas pike is show

for more of my fishing i have ayoutube channel where i make quarterly videos (photomontages) of my biggest/ favorite fish of the quarter. i also plan on starting to make "how to's"

search carpmanjake

i also am on berkeley big fish. (i have already won the elite angler award)

p.s. i may be considered weird but i like fishing for carp and bowfin ALOT. i love the fight. i should have the MN state record bowfin by next year. (i have seen many bowfin over 12 lbs) and i am getting new tackle and stuff so i will be ready when i hook into one of the beasts next year

[Note from admin: Please read forum policy before posting again. Thank you.]

Sweet report man, and Welcome to FM. Lots of info here and their is even a carp forum! Keep up the good work.

btw, What did the Crappies fall for? those are some nice slabs!

the crappies were going crazy over some of my hand tied mousie ice fishing jigs (1/100 oz)

hook: 1/100 oz silver roundball jighead (~size 14 hook?)

body: piping tape wraped around hook shank

tail: 1/2" lentgh of white round rubber (like a spinnerbait skirt)

ill get a pic when i get home

Welcome to FM. A very informative and interesting post. Nice pics as well. I'm a biology teacher and I'm very happy to see younger outdoorsman such as yourself. Keep up the good work! Try not to get that cell phone taken away at school though. Gotta be smarter / quicker than that... Curious... what part of the state are you in?

Welcome to FM. A very informative and interesting post. Nice pics as well. I'm a biology teacher and I'm very happy to see younger outdoorsman such as yourself. Keep up the good work! Try not to get that cell phone taken away at school though. Gotta be smarter / quicker than that... Curious... what part of the state are you in?

haha ya. it was a automated message thing. an old lady has been using my # for some reason. so ive been having automated messaging systems call me. i am currently looking for a good digital camera. my last one got broken when my brother was using it to make skating videos

i am in central minnesota. i am in alexandria to be precise

Welcome and good for you having a love of the great outdoors. I hope that one of my four boys will have half the passion for the sport that you seem to have.

i have passion for the sport for sure. this summer i was out fishing every day except for when the weather was really bad or we were out of town.

If you are looking for good carp and bowfin up in that area and don't mind a little bit of a drive, head up to the Orwell [PoorWordUsage] just south of Fergus. Always good wallaye and small mouth action plus a musky or two if you are lucky.