• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Snow Blower surges when Not under load

fishermatt

I have a 2007 Airens snow blower, bought and used it last year. At the end of last winter I added Sta-bil to the gas before I used it the last time. Now this winter I fired her up, and when operating under load it runs great, but when I dis-engage the blower it starts surging and backfiring. As soon as I engage the blower and hit some snow it settles down and runs good. I was thinking maybe it was bad gas, but I ran out the tank and added fresh premium gas, and it's still doing the same thing. It doesn't die, but surges and backfires when not under load. Any ideas appreciated!

The place I bought it from is now closed (as in bankrupt), but I called the guy I bought it from who works somewhere else now, and he said he had another guy with the same thing, and he thinks the carb needs to be cleaned. Seems to be a fuel issue, the carbs on Airens according to him are non-adjustable, so I'll have to try and pull the carb and see what can be cleaned.

I'd try new spark plug too. Some of those small engines kind of glaze the cylinder with improper spark. Had a chainsaw do that once. Never hurts to clean the carbs though. Also when you put the sta-bil in the gas did you run the machine so it got into the carb too? Did you fog the cylinders? That some times needs some time to burn that oil out and run clean again. Just some thoughts...

The place I bought it from is now closed (as in bankrupt), but I called the guy I bought it from who works somewhere else now, and he said he had another guy with the same thing, and he thinks the carb needs to be cleaned. Seems to be a fuel issue, the carbs on Airens according to him are non-adjustable, so I'll have to try and pull the carb and see what can be cleaned.

Just finished mine,the carb had no adjustment either!(I dont like those) but the governor adjustment did stop the surge.That should have not been the problem so I disassembled and did a complete carb cleaning. Running fine now.

I did all the summerizing required to mine and fired it last end of Oct.Ran fine then! Like I said I dont like the nonadjustable carbs!! Mines a new Troybuilt

Lots of blowers do this I have a Ariens 05 13hp it does it my dad has an older John Deere it does it. It is the govenor adj not a big deal if you adj it too much it will quit surging and just kill the engine. I just leave mine alone.
Ya mean you keep using it while it's surging?? That'd drive me crazy! I like my motors to run the way their designed to.