• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

99 VW Passat OBD Plud-In?

My daughter's boyfriend has a 99 VW Passat. His check engine light has come on and I guess it is running rough going through extra fuel. I told him to got to checker as they loan the code reader out. The problem is they could not find the port to plug into. They said under the dash where it should be there is a sticker that looks like a "dummy plug". Has anyone ever heard of this? I haven't seen it myself so I can't give any more info right now. Where would I find this port?

The port should be under the dash under the steering wheel. Im a service advisor for VW and 90% says the reason is he has bad coils and will need to be replaced. WE go thru coils like dirty socks when its cold. Just a idea. coils are very easy to install and so are plugs depending on the motor. Hope this helps!

I know it a different car but in the Audi's they had them in the center console under a little access cover facing the back seat. Since they are on sort of the same platform it might be in the same spot.

I think the Passat OBDII connector was under the dash only in 96 & 97, then they went to the center console after 98. And now maybe back to under the dash again. Not certain, but I think so. Along with the previously discussed Ignition Coil problems, I have seen many faults with the Mass Air Flow(MAF) sensors and many vacuum hose leaks too.

OK finally found the plug in. It is under the dash beneath the steering wheel. You have to get under the dash and look up to find it.

Hooked up scan tool and got cylinder #4 misfire code. Decided to swap coils between what I believe is #1 and #4, the two end cylinders. We figure the misfire should move with the coil if it is bad. Well now we get a P1300 for a code. It is not recognized and the car runs worse. It won't idle. Runs sorta ok at high rpm. Can't find a vacuum leak. Any ideas???

If you swap back the coils does it run better then? Try just unplugging the electrical connector on the coil you suspect is bad, see if the engine miss gets worse, or even better. The p1300 code doesnt show up in my book either, if you have a different scan tool try that.

P1300....MISFIRE DETECTED ON ONE OR MORE CYLINDERS ALSO POSSIBLE LOW FUEL ISSUE. MAKE SURE THERE IS GOOD AMOUNT OF GAS AND REPLACE THE COIL AND TRY IT AGAIN. SHOULD WORK ACCORDING TO ALLDATA AND MY VW TECHNICIANS.