• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Who Does Their Own Maintenance, Verses Bringing It In?

I try to make sure that all needed maintenace is done before the winter. If something happens this time of the year I take it to the dealer. When it's nicer out I will change most of the fluids in my truck (diffs, t-case, trany) and have the dealer change the oil and hit the zerks with grease (I give them the oil and filter). Hey, they're quick and the labor is cheap enough so why not.

I'm like Wildabeast and try to have it timed so that everything is done before winter, but it always seems that I have to change the oil in January on both of our trucks. It's looking that way again this year. I just fire up the bullet heater in the garage to take the chill off and have at it.

I do 99% of regular maintenance, it's relatively easy and I still enjoy getting my hands a little dirty. Even if it's real cold, an oil change is only about 1/2 hour and a few cups of HOT coffee.

I do all my own. I have the advantage of having an insulated/heated garage though! The motorcycle dealer that I bought my bikes from is getting a waste oil boiler for his in floor heat so I will just take the jugs of oil out there and let them have them. Helps him out and get them out of my garage. Take care and N Joy the Hunt

Well believe it or not, I do all of my own work, except the oil changes crazy

Strangely enough, me too! and I do the oil changes too, in addition to everything else for all my family cars. (kids included) You'd think I'd have had enough after 30+ years of it. frown

I do 95% of maintenance to all my vehicle. This include large repairs too (transmissions, clutch, ball joints, etc.). I only rely on dealer for electronic issues (where there's a need for a scanner), warranty issues, or difficult troubleshooting (then I go home and fix it myself).

I am particular about my oils and filters, I use Amsoil, Amsoil and/or Fleetguard filters.

I wouldn't trust most oil change places anyhow.

ive heard way to many bad stories about this.....my ag teacher told me once he brought in his 04 Impala and was watching the guy change the oil and when he put the new filter on,he tightened w/ a channel lock!!! when he seen this he told the manager and the manager re-did the change,ive also heard some guys mark the filter w/ an X and when they get home the same filter is on it! whistle i think ill do it myself lol

i do all my own service. then i know for sure that joe the ace mechanic didnt screw me over with bad parts or over charge me for staring at it for a extra hour with a coke in his hand. if i need something done fast that i dont have time for i will take it to a mechanic that i know personally and trust will do a good job.